BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Board-

Situation: making somewhat easy left turn, 105 pound female right front, 175 pound male right rear, hit small dip in road (a depression not a person) and the right rear tire rubbed the top of the fenderwell. Very embarassing. Car has 52(k) miles and original suspension except for Beastpower brackets. Normal or should I look for new shocks, etc?

Thanks for the time.

KCD

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Common problem. Easy fix, you just need to roll the forward inside lip in a couple of inches to cure this. You can see where the factory stopped. There are several posts on this issue. My bodyshop did it for me for free.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've got the same problem, usually happens when I'm accelerating under full power and I hit a bump or grade change, like a freeway onramp. I hear a loud "BRAPPP" from the left rear tire and afterward the outer edge of the tread looks like somebody held a knife to it while it was spinning (lots of small, thin pieces of rubber peeling off the edge of the tread).

My question is, how 'safe' is it to do this myself, and should I use tools or can it be done with my hands? The last thing I want to do is bend the visible outer quarter panel lip around the wheel well. In one of the other threads on this topic one guy was talking about how he used a baseball bat leveraged against a tire iron or something, and I'm afraid that I'll do more harm than good.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
tomlavelle said:
I've got the same problem, usually happens when I'm accelerating under full power and I hit a bump or grade change, like a freeway onramp. I hear a loud "BRAPPP" from the left rear tire and afterward the outer edge of the tread looks like somebody held a knife to it while it was spinning (lots of small, thin pieces of rubber peeling off the edge of the tread).

My question is, how 'safe' is it to do this myself, and should I use tools or can it be done with my hands? The last thing I want to do is bend the visible outer quarter panel lip around the wheel well. In one of the other threads on this topic one guy was talking about how he used a baseball bat leveraged against a tire iron or something, and I'm afraid that I'll do more harm than good.

Its pretty easy to do, but I can't answer how safe it is for you to do it yourself. I wasn't comfortable doing it myself for the same reasons you wrote about. My friend gently used a soft hammer, others have used a rolling pin or baseball bat. I think Eastwood has a tool you can rent.

But I will tell you that you only need to push the forward edge in a couple of inches at the most. Try search as there was quite a bit written on this in the past. Some dealers even covered this under warranty when the cars were new.

Regards,
Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts