BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, last Friday I made a post about having to replace my almost new Pirellis with Michelins SP2, granted I wanted to do it. Today, with my tire luck running out I was comming back from my son's doctor appoitments, as I was turning right some SOB dropped the flat sidewalk concrete "plates" about 2-3 in thick. One of the pieces wedge itself on the side of our wide rear tire a good chunk of the sidewall out. Thankfully, not damage to the car. In my mind, it just cannot happen to me in one week, my last flat was about 20 year ago, but now I just replaced my 4 tires less that 200 miles ago. " I hate not having a spare tire", I was able to somehow home, but when I pulled in into my driveway the rear flat was smoking. Needless, to say I pulled the wheel of, called NTB and delived the flat tire to them. Abount an hour later, I had a new SP2 at the cost of $45 for a new tire insurance. I just saved myself cost of the new tire of $319. I do not think I will go again without tire insurance on M5's or any other hi performace tires. BTW, I am staying home tonight, it is not my day.. blowinh two tires in one week is really to much...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Interestingly (well unfortunately), it's almost always the wider rear tire that gets damaged. Nails just seem to aim for the rear tire wall for me. A no cost fix if nail poked anywhere else, but no, had to be a $220+ tire wall hit.

Happy for you that you got the insurance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, to add to my post. I figured if my tires lifespun is in days, I may as well have a good time. I just came back from breaking-in my new tire, doughtnuts, half-doughnuts are a lof of fun.The new tire is really slippery, but after few donoughts it really broken in. Now, I have to be careful about the clutch...

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
swingkat420 said:
who/where do you get tire insurance from? I've had some bad luck on my last car...I hate for that to roll over to the M5.
You buy it with the tires from the retail shop that sells you the tires. For example a set of PS2s runs 1050 from tirerack. Add $115 for the hazard policy. Big O, Discount TIre, Americas TIre... all sell it, as they make good money on it.

THis ONLY covers irrepairable damage- not wearing out.

I've never bought it- and never needed it. Maybe just luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts