BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Board-

Quick question, When I bought Ole Red, it came with these tires, Kumho Ecsta Supra 712 Tires. Having read a few reviews, felt that maybe I should replace the tires and was looking at the Michelins or the Dunlops but I have read a few posts about spacers being needed on the PS2's. Or maybe the Kumho's are just fine?
Can anyone assist a M5 virgin and help me understand the widest tires that will fit on a completely stock '01 without having to resort to "spacers", longer lug bolts and etc. And, is there that much difference in width on a tire that is the "same" size as another manufacturer?

:confused2

Thanks Board!

KCD

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
You only need spacers if you upgrade by putting a pair of rear OEM wheels on the front w/275/35-18 tires (stock rear size). You can get PS2s in stock sizes on with no problem.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need4Spd said:
You only need spacers if you upgrade by putting a pair of rear OEM wheels on the front w/275/35-18 tires (stock rear size). You can get PS2s in stock sizes on with no problem.
Are spacers expensive, readily available, and is it worth it, from a handling, looks perspective, and are there any safety issues?

Thanks much!

KCD

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
kcdoyle said:
Are spacers expensive, readily available, and is it worth it, from a handling, looks perspective, and are there any safety issues?

Thanks much!

KCD
Spacers and lug bolts readily available and not much $$ at all, the biggest expense are purchase of the two rear wheels!! I haven't seen any "safey" issues turn up here, most people think the handling improvement is worth the expense, that part is purely subjective. I don't think anyone who has done the upgrade regrets it. :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts