BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody hope someone can help me with this...

I have found some used rims, they are Breyton Race GTP and the specs for the wheels are:

Front: 8,5X20" ET 35 and the owner has Michelin Pilot Sport 245/30/R20 mounted on them
Rear: 10X20" ET 30 they are without tires.

My questions are:
What tire size should i choose?
Will i need spacers?
Will they even fit my car?
Should i buy 4 new tires?

He has had them mounted on a 535D stationcar/estate

I don't know much about ET and stuff like that, so thats why i'm reaching out to the community, because the seller says the do fit the car, but want to be sure

Thanks in advance
Christian

·
Registered
191 Posts
To be honest the front will be buried. If you're looking for flush fitment you'd need a 42mm spacer up front and a 15-18mm spacer on the rear

255/35 and 285/30 is what i's go for on those widths

·
Registered
769 Posts
Yes, that's what he means. The stock dimensions and ET can easily take 12 mm spacers, both front and rear, without any issues. This means there is a good half inch of space to play around with, to get things looking the way you want. Keep in mind that the wheel must have some clearance margins to the strut and suspension assembly, all the way from fully extended to fully compressed.
The car looks more aggressive when the wheels aren't so tucked in, IMO. Do a forum search to see the difference and learn about how to set this up and how to calculate what you need. That's the best way to achieve something according to your own taste and to avoid errors or confusions. Your taste might differ from the tips you get.

·
Registered
191 Posts
As above.

The oem M5 front wheel is 8.5" wide with an ET of 12mm. To get the oem wheel flush with the Fender I personally run a 20mm spacer making the front ET -8

That means with the wheels you've mentioned, to achieve the same look you'd need a 42mm spacer.

If you wanted to run the far more conservative 12mm front spacer than brings the ET to 0, meaning you'd need a 35mm spacer.

I'm pretty sure that if you tried to run the front wheel as is you'd definitely have contact with the strut and suspension assembly.

Now for the rear, far more workable. Flush with the fender on a 20x10 is roughly ET20 so you'd need a 10-12mm spacer depending on your taste.

Re tires. I wouldn't run a 245 on the M5 personally. If I'm being totally honest, in your position I'd find different wheels. Running spacers is fine but the sort of spacer you'd need on the front will make the steering very heavy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts