BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Just had my winter wheels and tires put on. I have to say, I really like the way the M6 style wheels look. I had seen a few pictures and couldn't get a good feel for the look, but live and in color, they look great (IMHO). I am thinking that, after the winter, I may switch my summer tires to these wheels and use the stock wheels for my winter set-up.

Now for the dose of BMW service idiocy. When I picked up the car, I checked to see if the TPM was functioning. It was. Of course, a few minutes later I get the "TPM Malfunction" warning. I check the air pressure in the tires and rest the system (a few times) to no avail. When I get home, I call my SA and he says, "Yeah, those wheels don't have the monitors in them. I was going to tell you, but I didn't see you when you picked up the car."

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
tire monitors

Just read your woes about the tire monitors. The good news is that there are not any tire monitors in the wheels. The tire monitoring system is based upon the ABS and another sensor in your suspension. THERE ARE NO MONITORS IN THE WHEELS. I know this because I asked numerous times and was told the same thing. I also picked up new wheels that were already mounted and balanced and put straight on the car.

To reset the flat tire indicator, you need to reset the computer. You go to car settings, and then the program for flat tire monitor. Then you "reset" tire pressure. Make sure you also reset your SMG. I hope this works and don't let anybody sell you on "tire" monitors swap labor.

·
Registered
189 Posts
F1biggestfan said:
Just read your woes about the tire monitors. The good news is that there are not any tire monitors in the wheels. The tire monitoring system is based upon the ABS and another sensor in your suspension. THERE ARE NO MONITORS IN THE WHEELS. I know this because I asked numerous times and was told the same thing. I also picked up new wheels that were already mounted and balanced and put straight on the car.

To reset the flat tire indicator, you need to reset the computer. You go to car settings, and then the program for flat tire monitor. Then you "reset" tire pressure. Make sure you also reset your SMG. I hope this works and don't let anybody sell you on "tire" monitors swap labor.
Is your car an '06? I think the '07 cars have TPM not FTM, and they do have a sensor.

·
Registered
80 Posts
NYCM3 said:
Is your car an '06? I think the '07 cars have TPM not FTM, and they do have a sensor.

Mine is 06. I was not aware they changed the system in 07. Are you sure? If so, they screwed you at the dealer.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
NYCM3 said:
2006 M5 Owner's Manual on pages 76-77: Flat Tire Monitor FTM

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
06=FTM=no sensor
07=TPM=yes sensor

·
Registered
189 Posts
canysmc said:
2006 M5 Owner's Manual on pages 76-77: Flat Tire Monitor FTM
Right, so that system is the old one that relies on the changes in the rolling radius of the wheels. The new cars actually detect the psi in each tires.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
NYCM3 said:
Right, so that system is the old one that relies on the changes in the rolling radius of the wheels. The new cars actually detect the psi in each tires.
Unless the TPM give you absolute numbers so you don't have to stoop over and check your own pressures, I don't see how this (which apparently has more parts a dealer can charge you for) is an improvement over FTM more so than just a gimmick.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Or you boys could just use one of these

And for you MY07 boys going plus size or getting new shoes, you might need this

·
Registered
189 Posts
andrewsherman said:
Ed,

I am bringing the car back on Friday morning and I have been promised it will be the first car in. There is no way to override the warning message and I would not have agreed to that resolution in any event.
So, are you having a new set of sensors installed?

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
bmwbonehead said:
Unless the TPM give you absolute numbers so you don't have to stoop over and check your own pressures, I don't see how this (which apparently has more parts a dealer can charge you for) is an improvement over FTM more so than just a gimmick.
It is a gimmick, and does not give absolute numbers. The TPM (or FTM) is useful, since I do not need to check the tire pressure. I still carry a pressure gauge, since the TPM gives many false alarms.

The Smart Tire system (sold by Tire Rack) is much more useful. It displays pressure and temperature for each wheel. Pressure warning thresholds are programmable. BMW should have integrated similar features into iDrive.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Credit Where Credit is Due

I brought my car in this morning and they installed the monitors for me first thing. I was out of there in about an hour and everything is working fine.

Okay, a bit of a mea culpa on my part as I was probably a bit too quick to judge harshly in my original post. I will chalk that up to my frustration with the HUD and Ipod experiences. My SA this time (Steven), was very apologetic. He explained that he thought I was aware of the situation as I had dropped off the wheels with tires mounted and ready to go. He took full responsibiltiy for the mishap and did today's work without any labor charges. To be truthful, I though about this when I bought them and forgot to follow up.

I have to say that I am very pleased with the way he handled everything and I will stick with Wide World of Cars for my service unless I have further issues and I will be sure to request Steven as my SA going forward.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
andrewsherman said:
I brought my car in this morning and they installed the monitors for me first thing. I was out of there in about an hour and everything is working fine.
Did you have to also buy new monitors and/or sensors?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the positive feedback. I did have to buy the sensors and they were not cheap. Of course, they pulled the old weights off of the wheels when they re-balanced the wheels which left residual adhesive. Any good tips for removing this?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a TPM failure with my ACS rims, but it was expected and doesn't bother me. Wasn't worth the extra cost and hassle to me as I never use TPM. I will just do it the good old fashon way I guess :D
Evan

·
Registered
252 Posts
Clyde said:
It is a gimmick, and does not give absolute numbers. The TPM (or FTM) is useful, since I do not need to check the tire pressure. I still carry a pressure gauge, since the TPM gives many false alarms.
Oh, I can copy that, also on my 06 with FTM - especially on longer trips on the Interstates..yawnnnn

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
andrewsherman said:

When my 07 arrives in a couple of weeks and I change the wheels, I have to make sure there are sensors in the new wheels correct? Can I use the sensors that came with the stock wheels or are new ones required (i.e. cannot be removed successfully)? Do the sensors have to be the exact ones that BMW uses? Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts