BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M5 came with Dunlops, what tire pressures are some of you running with the Dunlops. My sticker says 44/48 at max load, 39/46 at normal load. The dealer put 44/48 in the tires.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If your going to run this car at all agressively I recommend the higher pressures. It is sooo easy to get up over 100mph that the safer bet is higher pressures - especially with such low profile tires! The rule is simple - higher speeds require higher pressures.

·
Registered
417 Posts
But is it a good idea to run at max if you are driving at high speeds? I thought (not sure) when your tires heat up, as they do at maintained high speeds, their pressure goes up and chance of bursting increases.

·
Registered
257 Posts
People who drive for extended periods at high speeds usually run higher inflation pressures because a lower inflated tire will generate heat more quickly. As long as the pressure is not above the MAX recommend, there shouldn't be a problem. I am sure that someone out there can kick in the necessary details. Dan

·
Registered
52 Posts
see earlier thread on pressures

the concencus before seemed to be that you sacrifice grip and comfort with higher pressures. If you want more bite in the tires, try lower pressure. i agree this will generate more heat in the tires, but if you operate these tires in their spec range, they should have zero problem. 34/38 was discussed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts