BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard that USA models will not get the Tire Pressure monitor System for now . It will be phased in 3/06. I have a screw in my tire with a slow leak and the system really works on my current E39 M5. Waiting till they perfect the new M5 just looks better and better a year or so.
Frank

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Frank said:
Just heard that USA models will not get the Tire Pressure monitor System for now . It will be phased in 3/06. I have a screw in my tire with a slow leak and the system really works on my current E39 M5. Waiting till they perfect the new M5 just looks better and better a year or so.
Frank
Where did you get this info from?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Frank said:
Frank
I think he means the new "real" tire pressure monitor system. Until 3/06, we will get the same system we have now. Then the new system will be "phased in" as the old parts are exhausted.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This info came from an update on the options list from BMW NA, This option is 2VB on the option list, call your dealer and see if you have it included. This is a no cost option included that will be phased in on 3/06 I don't believe that we will get any tire pressure monitoring system.
Frank

·
Registered
19 Posts
Frank said:
This info came from an update on the options list from BMW NA, This option is 2VB on the option list, call your dealer and see if you have it included. This is a no cost option included that will be phased in on 3/06 I don't believe that we will get any tire pressure monitoring system.
Frank
Spoke with Customer Relations in NJ. They confirmed that there will be NO tire pressure monitor before 3/06. There is no older version.

I asked if BMW intended to retrofit the cars shipped prior to 3/06 and they said no, after putting me on hold and speaking to the M liason. I said hey, it's in the PDF brochure as a standard option. They said it costs too much. Well, to me that seems un-customer friendly. Perhaps more people can call them and tell them they should do a retro-fit for free, since it is supposed to be included. Thoughts? are there any precedents.

If you want to contact them go to
http://www.bmwusa.com/Contact/ContactBmw.htm
or call 1-800-831-1117

·
Registered
68 Posts
My M5 does have the tire pressure monitor...at least it will warn me if the pressure gets too low.

I believe that if I say "atlas on" on the Nav via voice control, I see gas stations and other markers.

Does that help/hurt?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Gas/Food is in the Nav. It seems like they have they entire yellow pages available in the Navigation. Several catagories are available under New Destination, Information.

The M5s are currently equiped with Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) under the vehicle settings. Maybe after 3/06 it will show your active PSI like the GMs.
WLightning said:
Hi all-

Can some current US M5 owner confirm? (and no gas/food on the nav??)

Thank you,

WL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Kelly777 said:
Gas/Food is in the Nav. It seems like they have they entire yellow pages available in the Navigation. Several catagories are available under New Destination, Information.

The M5s are currently equiped with Flat Tire Monitor (FTM) under the vehicle settings. Maybe after 3/06 it will show your active PSI like the GMs.
How about a Tire Pressure Monitor Upgrade Petition on the M5Board. We can get a bunch of owners to "sign" a petition online, have one of the heavy hitter board people approach a heavy hitter customer relations person and get BMW to agree that if any owner ASKS for it they would do the upgrade -- this way they don't have to do all? Thoughts? Would be nice to have active one added. Seems fair.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
CarsCarsCars said:
How about a Tire Pressure Monitor Upgrade Petition on the M5Board. We can get a bunch of owners to "sign" a petition online, have one of the heavy hitter board people approach a heavy hitter customer relations person and get BMW to agree that if any owner ASKS for it they would do the upgrade -- this way they don't have to do all? Thoughts? Would be nice to have active one added. Seems fair.
Hmm, why fair? Did BMW misrepresent something? If they did, then I agree, otherwise, you got what you paid for. Should they retrofit the 6speed manual (we anticipate) because you like it better? :confused2 :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
19 Posts
gsfent said:
Hmm, why fair? Did BMW misrepresent something? If they did, then I agree, otherwise, you got what you paid for. Should they retrofit the 6speed manual (we anticipate) because you like it better? :confused2 :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry
The 6 speed manual is not listed in the PDF brochure as a standard feature. The TPM is.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
CarsCarsCars said:
The 6 speed manual is not listed in the PDF brochure as a standard feature. The TPM is.
Fair enough. But I thought the cars did have a tire pressure monitor. If the PDF brochure (ignore any disclaimers) describes an ACTIVE system, then you are absolutely right. The tire pressure monitor on my E39 is passive, but it does "monitor" tire pressure.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
251 Posts
What's the big fuss over not having a "real" TPMS? I don't see anything wrong with the current passive tire pressure "monitor" since it does the job just fine. The system on the E39, the E60, and on my X5 are the same, they passively monitor tire pressure by comparative rotational speed. Works like a charm and large deviations of tire pressures seem to set it off in my X5. The best thing about this system is that it is not specific to whatever wheel the sensors are mounted on (as on an actual TPMS system) since there are no direct sensors that measure PSI, and even if you swap wheels/tires to a winter or track set, the system still works for whatever set of tires you have mounted. Ideal for people like me who typically keep at least 3 sets of wheels/tires on my cars to suit the season or purpose. You can all keep wishing for the direct sensor-based TPM's, I'm quite happy and actually prefer what the car currently comes with.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
masmole said:
What's the big fuss over not having a "real" TPMS? I don't see anything wrong with the current passive tire pressure "monitor" since it does the job just fine. The system on the E39, the E60, and on my X5 are the same, they passively monitor tire pressure by comparative rotational speed. Works like a charm and large deviations of tire pressures seem to set it off in my X5. The best thing about this system is that it is not specific to whatever wheel the sensors are mounted on (as on an actual TPMS system) since there are no direct sensors that measure PSI, and even if you swap wheels/tires to a winter or track set, the system still works for whatever set of tires you have mounted. Ideal for people like me who typically keep at least 3 sets of wheels/tires on my cars to suit the season or purpose. You can all keep wishing for the direct sensor-based TPM's, I'm quite happy and actually prefer what the car currently comes with.
I agree. The current system is fine, and gives you more flexibility when it comes to changing rims and tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts