BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but what happens to the tire pressure monitor when you swap to winter wheels? I assume it will no longer work, but will it be confused because the stock wheels are no longer on the car?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Actually, it will still work, as it's based on wheel rotation speed (or the differential between the rotation of various wheels), not a transmitter on the wheel. You should just have to recalibrate the tire pressure monitor once you've installed the new wheels/tires, and you'll be set.

Gavin

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I always thought the wheels had the sensors on them. What do you run for winter wheels and tires or do you store your car? Where in the Chicago land area are you located?

Sean

·
Registered
51 Posts
I didn't even see that you were in Chicago when I posted. I live in the city, on the north side in Old Irving Park. I've had the pleasure of meeting another couple in the city with an M5 as well - it's cool to find others nearby with such great tast in cars!

Keep in touch - perhaps we can get a Chicago get together organized soon?

Gavin

·
Registered
35 Posts
gavingray said:
I didn't even see that you were in Chicago when I posted. I live in the city, on the north side in Old Irving Park. I've had the pleasure of meeting another couple in the city with an M5 as well - it's cool to find others nearby with such great tast in cars!

Keep in touch - perhaps we can get a Chicago get together organized soon?

Gavin
Hey I'm in Logan Sqaure. I'd be up for a get together if we can get it together. I keep my winters in the garage, but they sure do seem to get in the way.

Ben

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

Just sent you a private message with my email address. Drop me a note - I live really close to you, so maybe we can get together and be M5 geeks sometime.

Gavin

PS: By the way, I do drive my car in the winter. I run 17" wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires - really great in the snow, and not terrible in the dry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts