BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I need to purchase one of these kits ASAP. With the brand new PS-2 rubber that was just put on my M5, I don't want to be stuck on a long trip & chance it. I also don't have room for a small bike tire/donut/temporary spare (back there in front of the battery). Also, the previous 1 owner of the car, removed and/or used the M-mobility kit back there so it's gone.

Please let me know what you M5 fellas think about these two kits I found. The green stuff aka - "Tire Slime Safety kit" is one that I have seen at a few of my local auto parts stores. I use to use it many many years ago on bicycle tires with good results. They both look good & fairly similar. If any of you have first hand experiences with actually using (not just owning) one of these, please offer some reply as well. Any opinions, thoughts, insights or advice is welcome.

THANK YOU in advance guys... ! :cool2:

http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=5895

Continental ContiComfortKit

·
Registered
130 Posts
Kevin , these products are generally used on a temporary /emergency basis only! I use the green slime on my bicycles but dont think its a good idea to keep that stuff in there all the time as preventive maintence. Also fluid inside a tire will cause it to go out of balance at high speeds.

Not to mention the mess it makes when the tire has to be dismounted from the rim.

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kevin , these products are generally used on a temporary /emergency basis only! I use the green slime on my bicycles but dont think its a good idea to keep that stuff in there all the time as preventive maintence. Also fluid inside a tire will cause it to go out of balance at high speeds.

Not to mention the mess it makes when the tire has to be dismounted from the rim.
This was not meant to be use as a preventive maintenance item. I'm looking for something that could easily repair a flat tire... !

maybe try this product instead:

TyreGuardian Tire Puncture Protection System

I have no idea how it works but if you try it let us know
Looks pretty cool...

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Have any of you tried the Continental kit from the TIRE-RACK... ?
Any of the tire sealers should work. By driving, it spins around the tire and seals the hole. I have used Fix a Flat (which also inflates the tire) and have a can of Slime now (came with an inexpensive air compressor).

The tire should be removed as soon as reasonably possible and the sealant removed (and of course the tire properly patched). Sealants tend to ruin the tire if left in for any appreciable period of time.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any of the tire sealers should work. By driving, it spins around the tire and seals the hole. I have used Fix a Flat (which also inflates the tire) and have a can of Slime now (came with an inexpensive air compressor).

The tire should be removed as soon as reasonably possible and the sealant removed (and of course the tire properly patched). Sealants tend to ruin the tire if left in for any appreciable period of time.

Regards,
Jerry
Thanks Jerry. I think I'm just going to get the SLIME/small compressor kit from my local auto shop & just call it a day... !

·
Registered
567 Posts
You should also carry a tire plug kit. You can get them from any auto parts store, although I carry the Blackjack kit (BlackJack Tire Repair | The Leading Manufacturer and Worldwide Distributor of Tire Repair Products), which is a heavy duty industrial grade plug kit that is designed for truck tires. That, combined with a couple cans of fix a flat and the stock m-mobility air compressor, should get you going again, unless the tire gets shredded or a hole in the sidewall. In which case, you are S.O.L.
Of course, it goes with out saying that all this is only for getting the car to the nearest tire store to dismount and patch the tire...

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Buy a BMW jack and a tire plug kit along with the BMW (or other quality) air pump. The BMW sealant/Slime/fix a flat/whatever you want to call it sucks something awful. Shakes the car to ***** over 50mph and doesnt last. Personally, I wont use it on my M5.

A tire plug will get you on your way relatively quickly, and the repair will last....esp if you cant get to a tire shop that day (or week) to have the tire patched properly.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Oh yeah, i forgot about the jack. The BMW jack kit (part #71106773536) is very nice, even comes with a pre-set torque wrench. I found that it bungees to the bottom of the rear deck, in front of the subwoofers, and it doesn't hang down below the subwoofers, so it doesn't impact cargo capacity, and its secured and out of the way.
A tire plug is a lasting repair, actually my pickup has about three plugs in it, none of which have never been patched. But, my pickup never goes above 70 mph, whereas I would feel a lot better at extreme triple digit speeds having a properly patched tire, if the M5 were to get a flat. So the tire plug in the M5 would only be a temporary repair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts