BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a flat tire yesterday and now the stealership says i need a set of 4 new tires. ok so i bought the tires, my question is does anyone know what brand of tires BMW puts on your car when you need new ones?

thanks

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
You WANT PS2s, but if you do not specifically request it, the dealership will most definitely put on the OEM Contis and charge for the PS2s. There is no reason to buy tires from the stearlership unless they are going to give you a break to be competitive. Look at tire rack for prices.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Factory is ethier Contis or Michelin. Why go to the dealer ???unless your getting a better price there

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Conti is default choice by the book....................get the PS2's direct from Tire Rack. :cool2:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Dealer told me they can put contis on, I asked about PS2's, they said, it should be no problem, but when they checked, they told me they could only provide contis.

So I went a few hundred meters down the road and got PS2's and at a much better price than the contis.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I got a flat tire yesterday and now the stealership says i need a set of 4 new tires. ok so i bought the tires, my question is does anyone know what brand of tires BMW puts on your car when you need new ones?

thanks
You got one flat and you need 4 new tires? Just curious about your mileage?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Gentlemen If I may, I would recommend as an ulternative to the Michelin PS2's. I am referring to the Nitto INVO tires. They are $600 less per set and IMO they are just as good.
The set I have on my RS4 are fantastic in dry and wet weather.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Just curious, How much do the stock Run Flats go for? Anyone now? I know that regular tires run anywhere from $300 to $400 per tire.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Just curious, How much do the stock Run Flats go for? Anyone now? I know that regular tires run anywhere from $300 to $400 per tire.
I am fairly certain that ///M cars don't come with runflats of any sort.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Run flats are not standard and I'm not sure if they are suitable anyway, due to the speed rating etc.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Seems the thread is quite consistent, Conti's by default from BMW and then Michelin PS2 when you replace! I have just replaced my old Conti's at 11,000 miles and even in the first 100 miles I can feel the PS2 give a better (for me!) ride... Interested why you needed 4 new tires though, if half worn you would not want to run uneven tyres left/right even of the same type, but as long as they are the same make I don't see a problem running different levels of wear front/rear! Peter<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
397 Posts
I am fairly certain that ///M cars don't come with runflats of any sort.
That can't be right. I just purchased a 2008 in December and the dealership told me that the M6 comes with run flats. Thats why theres no spare. Was I told a lie?

·
Registered
270 Posts
That can't be right. I just purchased a 2008 in December and the dealership told me that the M6 comes with run flats. Thats why theres no spare. Was I told a lie?
think so. My M6 did NOT come with run flats. Don't think any others dido either.

Tires aare bid and heavy, and different sizes front and back. Just as with the M3, the M6 simply doesn't come with a spare.

·
Registered
270 Posts
tire installation

had tires installed twice on M3 by different indep tire dealers.

Both times there was a fuggupp. Both times I took it to the dealer to get it fixed.

House is currently being overhauled, will spend more on it than on the M6. New roof, room expanded, 2 bathrooms to be completely redone, paint inside and outside, then new floors. Sacred to put new tires on the M6 with the potential of having construction crap around the house screw them up.

Now about to order the Michelins but will wait as I have 30% remaining on original tires -- which is about when I start feeling my tires aren't doing what they should do.

Anybody ever have any problem getting their new tires from elsewhere installed by BMW dlr?

·
Registered
397 Posts
unless it is very new, M6 does not come with run flats, even as an option in Europe... Peter
Does that mean 2008 M6 comes with run flats?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts