BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided Moneypenny (my Z8 is an early model that has a British nav voice and I will not let them change that!!!) had slept enough so I took her out this morning. I warmed up the engine on local roads and then I got on to the highway. Id say its a straightaway for about 2 miles and then there are sweepers. I was going about 70mph and upon entering the first sweeper it felt like the front end was not nearly as connected as it should be- it felt a little bit like being on ice at slow speeds! I got off the highway and found some back roads and decided to try to scruff up the tires with the brakes. The first time I took a turn I had the same feeling. It began to abate as I spent more time doing this.

The situation is I replaced the OEM tires with MPS last summer and I have maybe 500-600 miles on them, most of those miles are easy driving. I then put her up on the lift for the winter on Oct 1 and took her down for a run during mid January. I noticed the same thing then, but I attributed it to the 20F weather. The next time I drove her was today.

Is this normal? If so what's happening? Is it just basically new tires- need to get past the chemicals from when they were made? I made sure the air pressure is correct in the tires.

I think I am just being a worry-wort, but Id feel better if someone who is more knowledgable tells me it will be OK.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks- they are at the proper levels. Before I drove her off the lift I checked them. I think this is a combination of new/ not fully broken in tires + ~38F weather + some loose sand from many snow storms on the ground all combining to create the issue I am experiencing.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I too would say that the tires have reached their glazing temps and at that, it takes them ALONG time to warm up..miles and miles. I know that with my Toyos if the temp is about 50 and raining my tires have a very hard time warming up and getting round, so i get that light "jiggle" for a long time.

With only a few hundred miles on them and not being driven for a while you might have gotten a new "glaze layer" on the tires from not being used for so long.

Wait till the temp reaches +50 and after putting it through some more miles and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
While I haven't noticed this issue as much with the Pilot Sports (but I drive that car more often), I have noticed it in some of my other cars after sitting through the winter and then venturing out in the cold. Add in the sand and salt mix that is still on the road and you can get in trouble quick. I have been spinning the tires on the highway at less than half throttle in one of my cars until they warm up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Summer tyres are designed to function at ambient temperatures of above 7C (50 odd F?). Below that, they take a long time to warm up and really don't reach full ability unless you "really" push them. Below 7C is when winter (or "all season" compromises) come into effect. This is due to the silicon content in the rubber. Basically, the silicon doesn't allow the rubber to harden with the low temperature.

My wife is a keen jogger and when we are in the mountains at the weekend for skiing, she jogs there too. It's more difficult though since the underside of her sneakers freeze after a mile or so and cause excessive "jarring" to her knees. She's still looking for winter sneakers ... (no, you didn't need to know this - I just added it as a bonus :1: )

Regards,

Gary.

MEnthusiast said:
Thanks- they are at the proper levels. Before I drove her off the lift I checked them. I think this is a combination of new/ not fully broken in tires + ~38F weather + some loose sand from many snow storms on the ground all combining to create the issue I am experiencing.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys- I think I was just upset that Moneypenny was not being her normal self. I am going to let her stretch her legs in a few minutes :1:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yep- there are 2 language choices "D" and "GB". I don't speak German so I pick GB for British. Its great. The car is a very pleasant British lady's voice that asks me to "Proceed onto the motorway"... :D

I have a few standing orders when she gets serviced:

1- no washing- I wash it myself. The fastest way to getting swirls is to let them wash it.

2- no updating the software for reasons already mentioned

3- do not mess with the seat- as the Z8 does not have seat memory! :eek:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
ill take a stab at #1...

i fully agree..when i first showed up here in TX i spent about a week detailing my car, so that there were ZERO swirl marks in her, and through going to the dealer about a million swirl marks showed up in the paint till last week when i again washed, polished, hand glazed and waxed her.

Its just so hard to say "no" to a free car wash especially when the car is dirty and its cold out...but i now do it. I wash my own and since i used to detail i take every precaution there is, except for that one not have the dealer wash it...no more.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep- if the car is silver and a daily "beater" then I say wash away. But if its black/ and or a special car then I just say no. ;)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just as a follow up- I took Moneypenny for a 90 minute drive and I really dug into the tires and sure enough once they warmed up, and I was on roads that I could see were clear, all was well. Very well indeed! :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts