BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years back after much deliberation I bought some PS2s. A few years of use, and wear caused by an slightly out of spec alignment, and I'm now in need of a new set of tires. I did my research and it looks like Pilot Super Sports are the new tire of choice, but alas the standard rear size is out of stock until the middle of June (both locally and tirerack). So here's the question. I really need tires now, do I wait out the Super Sports, or are the Bridgestone s04 "good enough"? Any opinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Have you considered the AS/3. For me it was between them and the Pilot super sports but due to the amount of rain we have here and the amount of grip the AS/3 have in the rain compared to the PSS I went with those instead, and while the dry grip is not close to what the PSS's are capable of they are still very very grippy and even more grippy compared to some lesser summer tires.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in upstate NY so I have Winter tires for the non "summer" months. I did consider them, but didn't want to regret not getting the true summer performance.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I live in upstate NY so I have Winter tires for the non "summer" months. I did consider them, but didn't want to regret not getting the true summer performance.
Yeah that wasn't clear in your post so I wasn't sure. However I personally would not settle for "good enough" for tires and would wait it out until your can get the Pilot super sports.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
You're not going to be happy in the long-run w/o what you really want. Thus, get a used rear set to bridge the interim months.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
A couple of years back after much deliberation I bought some PS2s. A few years of use, and wear caused by an slightly out of spec alignment, and I'm now in need of a new set of tires. I did my research and it looks like Pilot Super Sports are the new tire of choice, but alas the standard rear size is out of stock until the middle of June (both locally and tirerack). So here's the question. I really need tires now, do I wait out the Super Sports, or are the Bridgestone s04 "good enough"? Any opinions are appreciated.
Or you could buy a set of Sumitomo HTR Z III's (not II's) for $488 after a $50 mail-in rebate. Man that's a smokin' deal.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=BMW&autoYear=2003&autoModel=M5&autoModClar=&frontWidth=245%2F&frontRatio=40&frontDiameter=18&frontSortCode=54000&rearWidth=275%2F&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=18&rearSortCode=54400&tab=All

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Was in this boat three weeks ago. I **HATED** the prospect of my driving experience for the next year or so being driven by stock levels. At the time michelin was 1761 units on national backorder with delivery estimated at 4-6 weeks. Sounds like that is still the target.

HOWEVER, I located a pair at Tire-Buyer. Horrific company, but got the tires after only 2+ weeks. (moron stoners in shipping sent my tires to the other side of the country...)

Good luck, like the PSSs... running those up front, will get the matching rear pair when the rains start in October. Personally Id wait for them if you can. (I had a spare wheel/tire with a 245/40-18 that I was running while waiting)

GL

·
Registered
6,918 Posts

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Do you have those? How do you like them for the M5?
On my 2nd set. Been using them since 2008. I like 'em just fine, but then again I have nothing to compare them to. Most that have purchased here have been pretty satisfied. Very good bang for the buck as per most users incl. myself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've been using the Bridgestone RE970 All-weather tires and have been very happy with them. They are quiet, wear well, and handle very well in the real world. They are also very reasonable in cost and wear well ... I've over 40K on my fronts. Tire Rack has them for a very good price. I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I've run a few sets of Bridgestone S02's (Potenza 2 I think) on the back and one lot on the front,
they wear faster on the rear with oversteer slides but if you keep plenty of pressure on the front they last quite well.
Better grip than Yokie's AVS and Dunlop Sportmaxx but I haven't had PSS to compare...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Was in this boat three weeks ago. I **HATED** the prospect of my driving experience for the next year or so being driven by stock levels. At the time michelin was 1761 units on national backorder with delivery estimated at 4-6 weeks. Sounds like that is still the target.
I wrecked one of my rears w/ a flat (IDK how, I *barely* drove on it) and now am stuck w/ a mismatched tire loaner waiting for this damn backorder. My current tires have only used 2mm of tread. =/

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts