BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my way home from dinner and then tire defect pops up, does anyone know what that means?
tHNKAS

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Yep. It means you need to check your tire pressures and make sure they're not leaking. The sensor is activated when it detects one wheel turning at a different rate than the others in a situation where they're expected to turn at the same speed. Don't depend on visual inspection. You need to use a gauge because tires that have only as little as 15 psi (very dangerous) can look very nearly like one at 35 psi. :M5launch:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been dealing with the same thing over the last few days and after repeated checks of my tires both via gauge and inspections, I think my treadwear has gone down just enough to warrant re-calibration

My pressure remains constant and it seems that when I have more weight in the rear, ie trunk and rear passengers, the TIRE DEFECT comes up.

I was in Tampa entertaining clients when it happened and I took it to Reeves Imports the next day and the Manager of their tire shop checked them out personally and gave them the OK. He said I had a little less than 50% on the rears and that I may have to recalibrate as my fronts still had about 70% and the difference in rotational speed was probably causing the message

·
Registered
238 Posts
You have to reset the tyre pressure software.Otherwise it will pop up all the time.

Turn key in stand 1
then hold/press the pressure button
and follow your display.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts