BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever have a wheel changed and get a false warning message as I got above? I just drove 160 miles and had 2 warnings along the way!!
I called a buddy who seemed to sugest that the M5 has tire sensors that have to be replaced when a wheel or tire is changed, aka dealer only procedure. I'm looking at the owner's manual now, but never have heard of this.


Anyone ever have this happen? I'm stumped since all 4 corners look good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
ALEV8 said:
ANyone ever have a wheel changed and get a false warning as above? I just drove 160 miles and had 2 warnings alomg the way? I called a buddy who suggested that the M5 has tire sensors that have to be replaced when a wheel or tire is changed, aka dealer only procedure. I'm looking at the owner's manual now but never have heard of this. Anyone ever have this happen?
Check your tire pressures, make sure they are within spec. Then reset the tire pressure monitoring system per the procedure in the owners manual. Our cars do not use sensors in the wheels, they use the individual wheel speed as measured by the ABS sensors to determine proper inflation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
This also happens occassionally to me in the wintertime with my 17" wheels and Blizzak WS-50s.

Different rotational speeds and such, as Jamie said, will trick the system.

-Matthew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,393 Posts
greg said:
I think you meant trigger the system. That is exactly how the system is supposed to work.
To be technical, the "customer specification" is that the system warns of a "defect".

If the system "triggers" on a change in size, it is being "tricked".

Technically it is working, but it is a reacting due to a known design limitation of this type of system.

Once you know this, AND how to reset the system, it is easy to take into account as an end user...

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
ard said:
To be technical, the "customer specification" is that the system warns of a "defect".

If the system "triggers" on a change in size, it is being "tricked".

Technically it is working, but it is a reacting due to a known design limitation of this type of system.

Once you know this, AND how to reset the system, it is easy to take into account as an end user...

A
You really need to recalibrate the system when changing pressures, tires, or wheels -- not just reset it. It will continue to go off if you just reset it, as it is designed to do. Mine has never gone off inappropriately when I calibrate it according to the instructions in the manual. If not used properly, it will not work properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Just curious (very slightly off topic) - I don't have the pressure system in my car ('99 M5 Euro) and am considering run-flats when I replace the summer tyres next April when the winters come off. Since I apparently need a pressure system, does anyone know if it's possible to retrofit the BMW system since ABS sensors (and perhaps other bits) are already there?

Regards,

Gary.


jhowton said:
Check your tire pressures, make sure they are within spec. Then reset the tire pressure monitoring system per the procedure in the owners manual. Our cars do not use sensors in the wheels, they use the individual wheel speed as measured by the ABS sensors to determine proper inflation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,239 Posts
ard said:
To be technical, the "customer specification" is that the system warns of a "defect".

If the system "triggers" on a change in size, it is being "tricked".

Technically it is working, but it is a reacting due to a known design limitation of this type of system.

Once you know this, AND how to reset the system, it is easy to take into account as an end user...

A
this is probably just semantics, but I disagree with you. The marketing may simplify the message, saying simply that it warns of a tire defect, but the way it works is by detecting differences in rotational speed between tires, as can result from changing tires, of course, but also from changes in pressure, which in turn create changes in size, which create changes in rotational speed. The manual is clear about all of this and explains that you need to recalibrate the system. The ONLY way the system works is by detecting changes in wheel speed which can only result from changes in tire circumference - therefore the system is not being tricked. It is doing exactly what it was designed to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
jhowton said:
Check your tire pressures, make sure they are within spec. Then reset the tire pressure monitoring system per the procedure in the owners manual.
UK guys .... Am I a numpty ? As I often get this message on local minor roads (which are generally lacking in the maintenance department), however there is not a 'Set Tyre Pressure' button on my dashboard (UK RHD Car) what is the car measuring ? What I normally do is switch off the ignition, restart and all is fine until the next time I venture on to the bumpy minor roads. Tyre pressures are well within spec when I check.

Any ideas ????:confused2

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
298 Posts
I would think it would be on the left of the steering wheel in RHD cars which would be the reverse of how it is shown in the US version of the manual. Your Headlight switch is on the right, ours is on the left. My Tire Pressure Reset button is on the trim piece between the steering wheel and the Nav system. Dunno really, just a guess.??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
jhowton said:
I would think it would be on the left of the steering wheel in RHD cars which would be the reverse of how it is shown in the US version of the manual. Your Headlight switch is on the right, ours is on the left. My Tire Pressure Reset button is on the trim piece between the steering wheel and the Nav system. Dunno really, just a guess.??????
Thanks for the reply but nothing on the other side either, just the aluminium strip between steering wheel and Nav unit. :confused2 I might try taking the trim off, on that side, to check whether there is anything lurking underneath:eek:oohhh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
That's interesting - it doesn't seem to be where it usually is (i.e. next to the fog light switch) and if, in your RHD car, it's not on the other side either, it seems you don't have the system; which begs the question, how come you're getting the warning?

FWIW, I have a blank piece of plastic covering where the switch should be on LHD cars which so happens to be where you have your instrument panel dimming wheel :sad1:

Probably a stupid question but have you checked your manual as to where the button should be located in your RHD version?

Regards,

Gary.


SeeSure said:
Thanks for the reply but nothing on the other side either, just the aluminium strip between steering wheel and Nav unit. :confused2 I might try taking the trim off, on that side, to check whether there is anything lurking underneath:eek:oohhh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
grp said:
Probably a stupid question but have you checked your manual as to where the button should be located in your RHD version?
I have a Right Hand Drive car (UK 2001) and the button is indeed situated to the left of the steering wheel and to the right of the nav screen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Just had a quick check to make sure I haven't lost my marbles totally ;



I guessing the area I've circled is where the button should be. On checking the manual the picture it shows is a LHD, just typical no concession to RHD like the windscreen wipers.

So presumably I don't have the system, but as grp (Gary) said why do I get the message?????

It's not important but I was just curious as I also did have "Reifenpanne" display on the dash back in January which I believe means something like flat tyre,

So in summary I must be running a very clever car, not only does it use Extra Sensory Perception to identify non existent problems but it can also tell me about them in German....:1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,099 Posts
In the US, it is on the trim piece between the steering column and the Nav directly below the cutout next to the fog lamp switch.
See the attached picture. Look for any button with a symbol like (#). I've seen it in the center console area of some BMWs.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Richard in NC said:
In the US, it is on the trim piece between the steering column and the Nav directly below the cutout next to the fog lamp switch.
Yes, in the UK it's in exactly the same (well, mirror reversed!) place - on the aluminium/wood trim panel below the fog light switch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Richard in NC said:
In the US, it is on the trim piece between the steering column and the Nav directly below the cutout next to the fog lamp switch.
See the attached picture. Look for any button with a symbol like (#). I've seen it in the center console area of some BMWs.
Thanks Richard but nothing at all with that symbol, I'll have a look under the trim later in the week as it looks as though it's been taken off in the past.

 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top