BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i occasionally got the tire defect warning, but now on the oem 18s, the stupid thing is keeping giving me the TIRE DEFECT warning, id like to shut this thing up for once and for all..

Does anyone have a clue whats up?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
RTFM

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Well i occasionally got the tire defect warning, but now on the oem 18s, the stupid thing is keeping giving me the TIRE DEFECT warning, id like to shut this thing up for once and for all..

Does anyone have a clue whats up?
Check all tire pressures then reset your TPMS.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uhmm heres the most stupid question of 2010, how do i reset it, when i press it, it says Tirecontrole inactive..
:dunno:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Uhmm heres the most stupid question of 2010, how do i reset it, when i press it, it says Tirecontrole inactive..
:dunno:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...you-must-calibrate-tire-pressure-monitor.html

get them to the pressure they are supposed to be (cold.) With the key in position two, press and hold the tire pressure monitor switch (to the right of the steering wheel on the dash) until the confirmation message appears in the dash display. The system will now warn you when the tires deviate from this pressure (by how much, I don't know - does anyone?)

·
Registered
404 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad wheel speed sensor. The sensor may actually be bad and require replacement, or it may simply be disconnected or have debris. You can pull them out, clean them and the connectors with TB or electronics cleaner and see if that takes care of the solution. It worked for me as my right rear wheel sensor had come loose and grime had worked its way into the connector.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
find someone in your area who can use NCS Expert. very simple to disable, change the zcs to remove RDC then remove the module and the switch. then deposit them in the closest trash can.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I have done this as per the manual.
However, it does not say anything about checking it manually.

Is the button supposed to display anything special after I did the initial tire pressure setting?
Even after I did the initial tire pressure setting, when I press the tire monitor button again, it always says Tire Control Inactive, but I have never received a warning light.

From what I read, I believe the tire pressure monitoring system isn't a standard TPMS, but I'm not sure if the display is supposed to display anything at all for 'good tires'.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
So I have done this as per the manual.
However, it does not say anything about checking it manually.

Is the button supposed to display anything special after I did the initial tire pressure setting?
Even after I did the initial tire pressure setting, when I press the tire monitor button again, it always says Tire Control Inactive, but I have never received a warning light.

From what I read, I believe the tire pressure monitoring system isn't a standard TPMS, but I'm not sure if the display is supposed to display anything at all for 'good tires'.

Thanks.
If you read the manual, it only displays "Tire Defect" when there is a mismatch in wheel speeds (ie a flat or underinflated tire).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It sounds like you have a bad wheel speed sensor. The sensor may actually be bad and require replacement, or it may simply be disconnected or have debris. You can pull them out, clean them and the connectors with TB or electronics cleaner and see if that takes care of the solution. It worked for me as my right rear wheel sensor had come loose and grime had worked its way into the connector.

Nope, i calibrated the thing and now its fine... no more irritating message... thx!

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Haha what a coincidence, I got that warning light tonight! I was a little worried as I have never seen it before and dont have the manual. I took it to a gas station and got the tires all up to pressure and it went away when I restarted the car

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Haha what a coincidence, I got that warning light tonight! I was a little worried as I have never seen it before and dont have the manual. I took it to a gas station and got the tires all up to pressure and it went away when I restarted the car
That IS a coincidence ;)

What PSI was it at when it went off and what did you fill it up to?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I'm not blackxs, but had the warning happen to me a couple of years ago. I stopped and checked visually, but the tire didn't appear to be under-inflated, so I drove the short distance home. Checked it in the morning and it was around 20 psi (I normally run 42 psi in the rear). So the system worked for me.

Turned out I had a nail in the rear tire.

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I'm not blackxs, but had the warning happen to me a couple of years ago. I stopped and checked visually, but the tire didn't appear to be under-inflated, so I drove the short distance home. Checked it in the morning and it was around 20 psi (I normally run 42 psi in the rear). So the system worked for me.
Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts