BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing the extensive experiences and information regarding the Powerchip - I'm going to order one but have a couple questions before I do so.

I am only going to be able to run 91 octane on the beast because I live in San Diego where our gas pretty much sucks. Are the gains still going to be noticable even though I am going to have the lowest octane rated powerchip? Is it worth making the effort to add octane boost so I can order the 91+ octane boost map? Any members that

Another topic - I was driving yesterday and I got the "tire defect" code on the LCD. I checked all 4 tires, seemed fined and I drove another 20 miles after restarting the car and it came on again. I have hardly any tread left on the tires, does this have anything to do with it code or was it just a false reading regarding the pressure on the tires? Has anyone had a false reading with this or was this simply because I need new tires?

I am going to get new tires tomorrow because the rears look like steel belts are going to be showing through soon:M5launch:I was planning on going with PS2's. I can run a strictly summer tire here year round - So im not looking for an all season tire here. I'm pretty stuck on Michelin because of their ride quality as well as performance but is there a better tire out there that really out performs the others?

All the advice / information is greatly appreciated. You guys have been extremely helpful in the past!

- Jason

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I ran the PowerChip Gold 91 in my 530i and M5 in San Diego. Made a very noticable improvement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chuckc said:
I ran the PowerChip Gold 91 in my 530i and M5 in San Diego. Made a very noticable improvement.
Thanks Chuck - Even more excited about it now!

Any one experience this tire defect false alarm? Seems as if my tires are perfectly fine...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do - Buying a V1 as well so I can really test the beast out with less concern. :M5launch:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
jhendershaw said:
Thanks Chuck - Even more excited about it now!

Any one experience this tire defect false alarm? Seems as if my tires are perfectly fine...
You might need to recalibrate in accordance with the owner's manual. The tire defect comes on based on the rolling diameter changing on one or more tires. So it is possible a recal is in order for the loss in tread. Just a hunch.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i got a "tire default" reading yesterday, i believe the reason for mine is i just put coilovers on my car and im gettin some serious rubbing on my left rear tire, i think an alignment and some fender rolling should do the trick.

please keep me posted on how you get the reading to go away, i am interested in hearing

Mark

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
///M_CHAP said:
i got a "tire default" reading yesterday, i believe the reason for mine is i just put coilovers on my car and im gettin some serious rubbing on my left rear tire, i think an alignment and some fender rolling should do the trick.

please keep me posted on how you get the reading to go away, i am interested in hearing

Mark
Are you running stock tire sizes? If so, your suspension setup must be REALLY low. hmmm

·
Registered
235 Posts
Chuckc said:
I ran the powerchip gold 93 in my 540iT... no increase in HP as measured by a Dyno, same operator, Weather station for SAE corrections, large fan, etc

sent dyno results, got my $$ back... good company to do business with.

Your experiences with the ///m5 may differ, as others here do like the results.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
marinakorp said:
I ran the powerchip gold 93 in my 540iT... no increase in HP as measured by a Dyno, same operator, Weather station for SAE corrections, large fan, etc

sent dyno results, got my $$ back... good company to do business with.

Your experiences with the ///m5 may differ, as others here do like the results.
Yes. That is the beauty of PowerChip. If for any reason you are not happy, you can convert back to the stock program and get your money back. They even upgraded the software for my Tubi exhaust for free. That version combined with the Tubi made a huge difference over the original PC version. Never dyno'd the car. Just going by seat of the pants acceleration and response. :M5launch:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Tire Defect just means check the pressure in all four tires, correct if necessary and then recalibrate the system:
1. Put your seatbelt on
2. Start the car
3. Hold the tire monitor button until the in-dash display tells you the tire calibration is going to occur (I forget the exact message)
4. Drive around at varying speeds for a while

The system just monitors the rotational speed of all four wheels and remembers the correct values at several speed ranges. If one wheel starts indicating a major difference from the others, you'll get the TIRE DEFECT message.

I don't think I've ever gotten a false reading in my car, but it has correctly found 2 or 3 nails and one total carcass failure.

Anytime you change or rotate your tires or modify what pressures you run you should recalibrate to prevent false warnings and catch real problems.

As for tire choice, I ditched the stock Dunlop 8080s for Michelin Pilot Sports and then tried Bridgestone S03's. I loved the S03's and I'm on my third set now. It practically never gets below 50F very long here so I love summer tires!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have had the PowerChip running in my E39 M5 for over a year now. Moments after I uploaded the modified sw (91) into my DME and backed out of the drive way for a first spin I noticed an immediate difference.

The acceleration blip at around 3500 rpm (Vanos) was smoothed out considerably - almost to the point that if I didn't know it was there before... I might not now. With the "sport" button on... the throttles are way more responsive and the car is much more fun to drive.

The only problem is that once you stop making perfomance enhancing adjustments to your car, you get used to it's feel and IT becomes your "baseline" - so you inevitably forget about the gains and just seek to feel more power and torque.

The only cure I've found to that is by driving rental cars and/or cars at dealerships and then hoping back in mine and punching it. The best way is if you can find a non-modified M5 and drive it and then get back into your M5 and feel the difference that your mods have made.

I think the PowerChip SW is worth the price. Good value.
Good luck.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Chuckc said:
Are you running stock tire sizes? If so, your suspension setup must be REALLY low. hmmm

ya its pretty low, im gonna take pics today tho, i got everything fixed (got an alignment and rolled my fenders) and YES I am on stock wheels and tires

mark

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
///M_CHAP said:
ya its pretty low, im gonna take pics today tho, i got everything fixed (got an alignment and rolled my fenders) and YES I am on stock wheels and tires

mark
:cool: I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled for a super-low and super-loud M5 racing through the backroads of Ranch Santa Fe. :cheers:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Chuckc said:
:cool: I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled for a super-low and super-loud M5 racing through the backroads of Ranch Santa Fe. :cheers:

haha, nice!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.