BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received some Toyo RA1´s I bought from a guy on this board.

He advertised them in "near perfect condition" but here is how they
look when I receive them:

I am not too happy since these tires are half worn (tread depth
is 1/8 inch compared to 8/32rds new).

What do you think - is "near perfect condition" a correct description
for these tires that are half worn???

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
They look like scrap to me. The are well past "half" worn, based on the heat abuse of the shoulders and surface. I'd say not "near perfect".

I'd say the shipping cost exceeded the value.

Did you get pictures prior to purchase? If the seller has pictures showing the condition on shipping, he should post them. When did they arrive to you? It's been a while, no?

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
the tire in the first pic is questionable with that outside shoulder wear, but the rest seem to have decent life for some track days. Problem with used R compound tires is it just isn't about wear and tread, they have a limited number of heat cycles before they are 'used up.'

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Perfect condition for a big smokey burnout the day before you go buy a new set.Perfect for daily use-NO. :M5launch:

·
Registered
691 Posts
It seems if I were going to stiff you like this guy, I wouldn't have bothered to even incur the shipping costs and pocketed the entire payment-- Too bad, since I would have assumed a higher level of trust on this board as opposed to a craigslist ad . . . KH

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
Borderline usable for street driving, ok for a few track sessions, but not too many. Tread depth isn't as important as heat cycles as mottati noted above. 3 or 4/32 track tires are actually pretty good.

But, not even close to near perfect.

Contact your credit card company to reverse the charges if no seller satisfcation in a relatively short period of time.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
well who was the member so we know not to buy off of them

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have been in contact with the seller and he is open to suggestions
regarding this matter. He has been very responsive and curteous.

I just wanted to get second opinioins on the tires - I personally think
they are crap.

Here you can see a couple of his replies:

"Thordur,

The more I think about it, the more and more I realize the confusion: The front tires, which I described to be in average condition are exactly that…They are about half-worn. The other four Toyo R-Compounds are, in fact, in excellent condition for R-Compound tires. These are very-gently used R-Compound track tires. I’m sticking to my description, accordingly: I still feel the fronts are in average condition while the other four R-Compounds are in very good condition."

"Thordur,

As far as the tires go, nothing that I can say would change your mind about how you feel about the tires or the way I advertised them. Whether we agree or disagree about the condition of the tires is irrelevant at this point. With that said, I’m open to any reasonable suggestions you may have on a course of action.

Please advise,"

I am just wondering how much I should ask for in a refund.

I paid $2500 for 4 rear wheels with the Toyos and 2 front wheels with
street tires. The wheels are the OEM magnesium wheels for the E39 M5.

How much would you guys ask for in a refund?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
come one guys, we should not be doing this to our board brothers. this is wrong.
those tires look to be average condition to me or worst. as for how much refund, that you have to figure out based on wheel condition and such. sorry if I was no help

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
Mr. Blue Thunder - you are an extremely nice guy.

If a guy sold me a set of tires that he described as near perfect condition, then the tires arrived like you showed on the pictures - all I can say is - I wont be a happy camper at all to say the least and I dont know what I would do to him as I would be in an extremely upset state. My initial feeling would be - I just got screwed, it doesnt feel good, and the seller better make good on this ASAP, correct the situation or else...........

I agree with everyone here especially Jerry. If I paid by credit card - I would be contacting my credit card company to immediately reverse the charges. Then I would contact the seller to arrange for shipping the tires back.

Obviously someone has a very different definition of "near perfect condition."

As "Interpid One" stated - I replace my tires way before it even reaches that stage.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I paid $2500 for 4 rear wheels with the Toyos and 2 front wheels with
street tires. The wheels are the OEM magnesium wheels for the E39 M5.

How much would you guys ask for in a refund?
If the rims are 'perfect' (no curb rash or obvious nicks) then the rears are worth $300-350 each, fronts $200-250. Toss in $100 for two used front tires. Figure $1800 to $2000. Any defects in the rim and price drops by $100-150 per rim.

Although I new that R Compounds had different wear characteristics, I am not sure I appreciate the differences in appearance. But "near perfect" is a pretty narrow definition with high standards....

A

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
That is Horrible... As previously stated..This Is M5board not craigslist

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hold on, did you get rims with the tires, or just the tires? The tires look mounted and you got 6 of them total right. I would think that you are paying for the rims condition...not the tire condition.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hold on, did you get rims with the tires, or just the tires? The tires look mounted and you got 6 of them total right. I would think that you are paying for the rims condition...not the tire condition.
I bought both rims and tires. The reference to "near perfect condition"
was regarding the tires - here is the exact wording:

"The four Toyo's are in near-perfect condition."

1 - 20 of 33 Posts