BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All and Happy Holidays!
I just got and have installed my winter tire package from the Tire Rack. I opted for the Pirelli 240s and Mille Migla 11-2s. The tires and wheels look great but the tires still have a lot of what appears to be the release compound from the molding process. I tried scrubbing it off with soapy water using Dawn soap. So far it has been an exercise in frustration. Does anyone have any better techniques or suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!
Dave

:2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
///M_Addict said:
Hello All and Happy Holidays!
I just got and have installed my winter tire package from the Tire Rack. I opted for the Pirelli 240s and Mille Migla 11-2s. The tires and wheels look great but the tires still have a lot of what appears to be the release compound from the molding process. I tried scrubbing it off with soapy water using Dawn soap. So far it has been an exercise in frustration. Does anyone have any better techniques or suggestions?

Thanks in Advance!
Dave

:2:
My Michelins had the same thing - the only thing I found was after washing, put Armour All Ultra Shine on them.

I know it sounds like a lazy fix but as you, I tried to clean them off and this was the only way to make them look good again.

Spray the stuff on a cloth - then apply vs. spray directly on wheel - will last longer.

See what others say but, it'll work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
Try cleaning with Simple Green and a scrub brush. If that does not work, try some wheel/tire cleaner.

Good Luck, John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK,
Here is a follow-up to the situation. I started out with Dawn and used a towel and scrub-brush. That did not work, so I tried Simple Green and also P21S Car Wash in a very small spot. They did not have the desired effect. At this point, I had nothing to lose and called up the Tire Rack figuring that they had to run into this at some point. When I got through to their support, I got a lecture on braking in the tires. I explained them that I was aware that I had to wear off the compound on the tread. My issue was the sidewalls that were almost white. The answer from the rep was that it just wears off over time and that's all we can do for you. I am not quite sure how it would wear off from the sidewalls but, Oh Well! Given the above, I decided to apply 1 Grand ERV to the sidewalls (Avoiding the tread ouich). I am attaching before and after pictures so you can see the results. Thanks to all for the input and I would still be interested if anyone has any other alternatives as I am sure the ERV is not permanent.

Thanks!
Dave
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
Dave,

I would use Meguires Tire shine, I am not sure of the exact name, but it lasts for at least a couple of weeks. Your tires will be very black and somewhat shiny depending on how much you use. Your "whiteness" will not return after that.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Hi Dave.....Nice move with the winters and rims........as you know I sold the winters and rims that I had on your newly purchased car...... to my neighbor who has a 5.....I used orange citrus cleaner from Home Depot with a tire brush and it came off on my new Pirelli 240's for my new C4S winters.....it appears you got the rear rims off okay.....I had a ***** getting off the rears last year, rocked the car to get them off as the first owner necver had the car in snow...... and I used WD40 on the hubs, etc....so the next time was easy.....hope it was for you....happy winter driving and new year.......Andrew B. PS - hope you got the mats you wanted.....rubbertite from autoanything.com are good all weather ones with a good pattern.... :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
///M_Addict said:
OK,
Here is a follow-up to the situation. I started out with Dawn and used a towel and scrub-brush. That did not work, so I tried Simple Green and also P21S Car Wash in a very small spot. They did not have the desired effect. At this point, I had nothing to lose and called up the Tire Rack figuring that they had to run into this at some point. When I got through to their support, I got a lecture on braking in the tires. I explained them that I was aware that I had to wear off the compound on the tread. My issue was the sidewalls that were almost white. The answer from the rep was that it just wears off over time and that's all we can do for you. I am not quite sure how it would wear off from the sidewalls but, Oh Well! Given the above, I decided to apply 1 Grand ERV to the sidewalls (Avoiding the tread ouich). I am attaching before and after pictures so you can see the results. Thanks to all for the input and I would still be interested if anyone has any other alternatives as I am sure the ERV is not permanent.

Nice rims by the way !!

Thanks!
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andrew,
Hello! Thanks for the input! Too bad I did not catch you before you sold the winter package. The WD-40 you put on the hubs did the trick. There was no problem swapping out the wheels this time around. Yup, I picked up some new mats. I went with ///M5 logo ones from BMW. Not the most practical in the winter, but they look nice


Happy New Year to You as well!
:cheers:
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
///M_Addict said:
Andrew,
Hello! Thanks for the input! Too bad I did not catch you before you sold the winter package. The WD-40 you put on the hubs did the trick. There was no problem swapping out the wheels this time around. Yup, I picked up some new mats. I went with ///M5 logo ones from BMW. Not the most practical in the winter, but they look nice


Happy New Year to You as well!
:cheers:
Dave
lloyd mats make a mat called the "rubbertite" that is decent looking, custom fit, reasonable for a weather mat......check our autoanything.com....they make a clear mat also that you could put over the mats.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
Andrew B. said:
lloyd mats make a mat called the "rubbertite" that is decent looking, custom fit, reasonable for a weather mat......check our autoanything.com....they make a clear mat also that you could put over the mats.....
I prefer the Coco mats. Not sure of the manufactorer, but very nice looking.

Mark
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top