BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I've been doing a lot of searching here and other research across the web on what tires to throw on the beast. Currently on the OEM Conti extreme contact DW which are down to the wear bars in the back. Hopefully someone has similar driving conditions and can chime in.

-Southeast Virginia (wet winters, but little to no snow)
-25 miles driving per day, city and a little back road
-easy driving style but "get on it" at least once during the day, usually a fun Sunday night drive.

I've been happy with the Contis and I didn't really run in to any issues driving the beast in freezing temps last winter so I feel like I can go with a performance summer tire and just be cautious during the really cold and wet days. I could just throw another set of Contis on but thought I'd see if anyone had a better (possibly more cost effective) option.
PSS sound great but a little more than I'd like to spend. Have looked into the AS3s and also the Conti DWS.
Thanks for any input.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
689 Posts
You might want to consider Michelins. They may be slightly pricier than the Contis, but they usually last a lot longer and handle well in most road conditions.

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,412 Posts
Michelin A/S 3 are incredibly sticky for an all season and cold temp tire.

I just put the A/S 3 on our Quattro. They are so much stickier than the Conti DWS I had on before -- I'm having so much more fun on the on/off ramps. We just got 14" of fresh snow at our home mountain, so I'm looking forward to see how they perform in the white stuff.

My review of the A/S 3:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...heir-new-s-3-high-performance-all-season.html

·
Registered
631 Posts
I also love my AS/3's, they've been fantastic and are really the best all-season tire I've ever used. I got them earlier this year so I haven't run them in snow yet but I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform. We don't get a ton of snow in NC, but enough that you don't want to be caught on summer tires (like I did last year).

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just installed a set of Conti DW's and don't have any complaints so far. I live in NYC and we have pretty brutal winters. I wonder how they will perform in sub 40 degree temps.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I had the Conti DW tires on our M and ran them on the track even. I put them on our E60 after having them and liking them on my G35 (and going through two sets with that car). However, I wanted to try PSS so when my G35 needed new tires, I grabbed a set of those. I was more than impressed, and got PSS for the M when I couldn't squeeze any more life out of the Contis (I basically wrecked the edges of the Contis at the track and overheated the entire tire but drove them around town for another year since the center tread was still good). All I can say is I was absolutely blown away by how big of a difference the PSS made to the E60. I can now drive so aggressively with no chirps or anything from the tires (car is completely stock minus angel eyes and drop in filters, mind you). The car just hooks now.

Trust me, the extra few hundred bucks for the PSS are absolutely worth it. You will not regret it.

Reactions: Metro

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I had the Conti DW tires on our M and ran them on the track even. I put them on our E60 after having them and liking them on my G35 (and going through two sets with that car). However, I wanted to try PSS so when my G35 needed new tires, I grabbed a set of those. I was more than impressed, and got PSS for the M when I couldn't squeeze any more life out of the Contis (I basically wrecked the edges of the Contis at the track and overheated the entire tire but drove them around town for another year since the center tread was still good). All I can say is I was absolutely blown away by how big of a difference the PSS made to the E60. I can now drive so aggressively with no chirps or anything from the tires (car is completely stock minus angel eyes and drop in filters, mind you). The car just hooks now.

Trust me, the extra few hundred bucks for the PSS are absolutely worth it. You will not regret it.
2x on PSS, but the OP needs cold weather as well. The PSS is not the best in the cold.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2x on PSS, but the OP needs cold weather as well. The PSS is not the best in the cold.

A Summer performance tire may be possible since winters here are pretty mild. The conti DW was okay last winter, but it just required leaving the car in the garage a couple days when there was a "heavy" snowfall ( about 4-6 inches for our area). I just drove the car gingerly when the temps were below 40 degrees - grew up near Toronto so I've got a fair bit of winter weather driving experience.

I think now I'm torn between the AS3s, which would have me covered no matter what time of year, with a lot of tread life, but apparently some extra road noise (hate that) - OR - the PSS since the apparent improvement in performance is so great (how's the tread life and road noise compared to the conti DW?)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a better example of typical weather conditions around here:
ImageUploadedByAG Free1414895822.117642.jpg

Averages on this site show that there are only 3 months below 40 degrees (which is the cutoff for summer performance?)

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
A Summer performance tire may be possible since winters here are pretty mild. The conti DW was okay last winter, but it just required leaving the car in the garage a couple days when there was a "heavy" snowfall ( about 4-6 inches for our area). I just drove the car gingerly when the temps were below 40 degrees - grew up near Toronto so I've got a fair bit of winter weather driving experience.

I think now I'm torn between the AS3s, which would have me covered no matter what time of year, with a lot of tread life, but apparently some extra road noise (hate that) - OR - the PSS since the apparent improvement in performance is so great (how's the tread life and road noise compared to the conti DW?)

The PSS are definitely quieter and should also last longer than the DW (so far, based on how they are wearing on my G35, I can say that is definitely the case).

Reactions: Metro

·
Registered
6,412 Posts

Road noise is not bad...but then again, my m5 is pretty loud, so I don't notice any road noise from my tires.

Revo can comment on the road noise...since his m5 is so quiet. We were at the track last year, I pulled up next to him to pass. I guess I was so loud that he couldn't hear his shift points :rofl: Also, he's driven my e60 many many many times.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
so witch one? A/S 3 OR DWS?
I AM in the same balance..:))

let me know what have u decide it to
AS3 over DWS is a heartbeat.

I was throwing our Quattro around all day today in the AS3s. There is so much more grip in the AS3 than when I was on DWS. My wife was like, "You never drive like this with the Quattro!" It's the AS3s that are grippier than the DWSs.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The AS3 is a superior tire to the DWS but it's also more expensive. To me the price difference is worth it. Plus the DWS doesn't come in stock sizes (either the front or the rear, can't remember).

As for road noise, I haven't noticed any with the AS3. My car isn't super loud so I would have noticed an increase in road noise.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The PSS are definitely quieter and should also last longer than the DW (so far, based on how they are wearing on my G35, I can say that is definitely the case).

Huge help, thanks. It's between the PSS and AS3 for sure, but I'm starting to lean towards the PSS. We definitely have more "driving" months than not around here. How are the PSS in the wet?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Road noise is not bad...but then again, my m5 is pretty loud, so I don't notice any road noise from

Haha! My car has definitely gotten louder now with the cutouts installed. I only close them for starting up in the morning so I don't wake the kid. Probably not as loud as yours but a good point that I might not notice the road noise as much with the car howling.

I had a Mazda 2 as a rental a couple months ago - road noise was so bad I couldn't hear myself think. Terrible car.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Here's a better example of typical weather conditions around here:
View attachment 487274

Averages on this site show that there are only 3 months below 40 degrees (which is the cutoff for summer performance?)

You're in Va Beach? Get the PSS!! Hands down!

By you're username, I thought you were in the Beltway. It gets cold in NOVA -- I left 20 years ago!

AS3s are great if you're worried about cold temps, otherwise get the PSSs!!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Summertime I'm on PSS, but I would'nt mind trying a set of Toyo Proxes T1 Sport.

I'll be on dubbed winter tires soon though. Hakka 8's.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Huge help, thanks. It's between the PSS and AS3 for sure, but I'm starting to lean towards the PSS. We definitely have more "driving" months than not around here. How are the PSS in the wet?

They are great in the wet. As good as you can expect from having 500hp distributed across two wheels at least. On my G35 2nd now holds on all the way to redline. With the DW or any other tire, if I did a second gear pull at around 5000RPM all hell would break loose. With the PSS, it just pulls through and into third I go.

Sorry to use my G35 for most of the comparisons but considering how little rain we've been getting over here (it FINALLY rained here after like a full year of not one drop), I'm usually in my G35 whenever I encounter any weather.

Believe me when I say the PSS is better in every way. It lasts longer, has better grip wet or dry (dry grip is amazing, really), and rides quieter. You pay a bit more, but it's worth it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts