BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
When I bought my E60 M5 second hand, I soon got the message that my battery level was low, so I charged it with an ordinary 12V battery charger that I've used for my boat etc. It only helped for a few weeks and then the message reappeared.
When I found out what a replacement OEM battery + installation and programming costed, here in Sweden, I decided to buy a smart-charger instead (CTEK is a popular Swedish brand and that's the one I got, but I'm sure there are other good options too). I did the reconditioning cycle once, with the battery disconnected from the car and never left the car without maintenance charging if sitting still for more than 3-4 weeks. I then had the car for three more years without ever getting this fault message again and never felt the battery being weak either. So, it pretty much saved me the cost and hassle of getting my battery replaced. :M5thumbs:

PS
It's saved several other of my batteries too, from being ruined due to high drain or sulphation, so it's payed off it's own cost several times over. Last time, it was my new car that has a Calcium-technology battery that was drained and wouldn't be charged with anything else than 16.6V boost Calcium pulse-program.
DS

Reactions: Jahangeer

·
Registered
766 Posts
same here

I had a similar experience two winters ago and my normal charger wasn't working, so I bought a smart charger and I charged my battery for about two weeks. The battery has worked flawlessly through this winter and is still going strong. 8 years old and 86k miles. I now use that charger on everything. A bit like snake oil, but seems to work.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great! :)
However, it's not snake oil actually. A traditional charger uses a fixed voltage output and only varies it's charging current (very slowly) depending on measured pole voltage. These new chargers uses a micro processor and (sometimes) patented charging routines to condition and deoxidize the battery internals. So it's pure physics and good electro-engineering and long time know-how. But great that it works and is simple. I like! :)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Hi all,
When I bought my E60 M5 second hand, I soon got the message that my battery level was low, so I charged it with an ordinary 12V battery charger that I've used for my boat etc. It only helped for a few weeks and then the message reappeared.
When I found out what a replacement OEM battery + installation and programming costed, here in Sweden, I decided to buy a smart-charger instead (CTEK is a popular Swedish brand and that's the one I got, but I'm sure there are other good options too). I did the reconditioning cycle once, with the battery disconnected from the car and never left the car without maintenance charging if sitting still for more than 3-4 weeks. I then had the car for three more years without ever getting this fault message again and never felt the battery being weak either. So, it pretty much saved me the cost and hassle of getting my battery replaced. :M5thumbs:

PS
It's saved several other of my batteries too, from being ruined due to high drain or sulphation, so it's payed off it's own cost several times over. Last time, it was my new car that has a Calcium-technology battery that was drained and wouldn't be charged with anything else than 16.6V boost Calcium pulse-program.
DS
Tjena.
Which Ctek charger did you get?
How long does the reconditioning cycle take?
Where in Sweden are you, I'm in Sundsvall.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have the CTEK 4.3 charger and it's amazing. I use it on my cars whenever they sit for an extended amount of time and I can agree they do bring life back into batteries that are on their last legs.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tjena.
Which Ctek charger did you get?
How long does the reconditioning cycle take?
Where in Sweden are you, I'm in Sundsvall.
Tjena! :)
I live in Stockholm.
I have two. One is ctek 7.0 (I think, when looking at the website) and I also have one together with my dad and that's one from Biltema actually and it's quite good too. Have only noticed it's a bit slower, but that's about it. It also has a dedicated program for Ca batteries.
Recond took about 2 days for the M5 battery. Or at least it was finished by that time.
Good luck!

Reactions: Jahangeer

·
Registered
267 Posts
So this CTEK charger is better than the Battery Tender charger? I have the Battery Tender Plus that I usually connect to the M5 battery when I don't drive it in a few days. It's better to invest in a CTEK charger?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In short terms, yes!
Many of the "smart-chargers" have patented chargin routines that in many cases can put new life into old batteries. Also, they're very easy to use. Furthermore, several types of newer batteries won't become fully charged at 12-13V charge voltage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts