BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I no longer need my H&R spacers, so I jacked the car up, took off the wheels, and for the life of me I can not get the spacers off!! Any ideas? They have been on the car for about 2 years and might have really enjoyed their time so they are not wanting to let go:)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Ok, I no longer need my H&R spacers, so I jacked the car up, took off the wheels, and for the life of me I can not get the spacers off!! Any ideas? They have been on the car for about 2 years and might have really enjoyed their time so they are not wanting to let go:)
I went through the same situation on the first flat tires. THe shop ended up smack them out. THey lubed and smacked all around until it came out. I would not recommend this method, since u do it yourself with plenty of time. I would said lube them, and smack it with rubber hammer thing all around repeat back and forth. If you can using a wedge with a hammer all around, that might work too.

Good luck

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, just took a little bit of both Keang and tighties ideas, mixed them up (shaken not stirred) and it worked.
Thanks guys, HREs are going on as we speak!!:cheers:

Ryan

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
BLAST !!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
just pop a flat head screw driver in and you'll be fine.
I may be saying the same thing, but what I do is put the head of a very cheap screwdriver in one of the holes in the spacer, making sure the screwdriver contacts only the spacer. I normally select the hole closest to the top (and not one with threads behind it).

Holding the screwdriver almost parallel to the spacer, and pointed in the direction of wheel rotation, I give the screwdriver a slight rap with a hammer. The spacer will always easily rotate itself free on the first try.

The idea is get the spacer to break its bond by rotating free and not to use the screwdriver as a wedge to separate the spacer, which risks damaging one of the parts, and probably risk getting the spacer wedged even tighter at an angle.

A photo would be really helpful, as it makes what I'm trying to write quite clear. Next time I remove spacers, I will snap a picture.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I may be saying the same thing, but what I do is put the head of a very cheap screwdriver in one of the holes in the spacer, making sure the screwdriver contacts only the spacer. I normally select the hole closest to the top (and not one with threads behind it).

Holding the screwdriver almost parallel to the spacer, and pointed in the direction of wheel rotation, I give the screwdriver a slight rap with a hammer. The spacer will always easily rotate itself free on the first try.

The idea is get the spacer to break its bond by rotating free and not to use the screwdriver as a wedge to separate the spacer, which risks damaging one of the parts, and probably risk getting the spacer wedged even tighter at an angle.

A photo would be really helpful, as it makes what I'm trying to write quite clear. Next time I remove spacers, I will snap a picture.
Makes perfect sense--thanks for the tip. I am going to do the other 3 tomorrow morning so this will help.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, here are a couple of teaser pics comparing stock front vs. HRE rear. I will post better pics next week.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Good advice, I learned something :M5thumbs:
The OP could also try a penetrating oil such as WD-40, my favorite is Wurth Rost Off.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
637 Posts
I love the look of the wheels. My Neez wheels look almost identical in finish.

It looks as though HRE did not quite get the offset in the rear perfect. IMO the rear wheel pictured sits too far in and not flush to the fender. And the 285 indeed does not look right on a 10.5" width wheel.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
For future reference to spacer users. Do use some anti-seize compund at your local auto parts store before putting on spacers.

RJ, your wheels look great! Congrats!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Now, it off-topic time:hihi: What finish on that HRE P40? What offset on front/rear? I asssume they were 20x9 and 20x10.5.

By the way, here are a couple of teaser pics comparing stock front vs. HRE rear. I will post better pics next week.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love the look of the wheels. My Neez wheels look almost identical in finish.

It looks as though HRE did not quite get the offset in the rear perfect. IMO the rear wheel pictured sits too far in and not flush to the fender. And the 285 indeed does not look right on a 10.5" width wheel.
I agree with your comment on the 285 tires, though only those very few will notice. However, I wanted the PS2 tires and many others had tried this same combo with zero problems.

As far as the offset, it's really pretty close especially if you consider many will use these same wheels with 295 or 305 wide tires. In fact, they are very close to the stock wheels plus H&R spacers--I measured this by running from one side of the car--looking--then running to the other side of the car and looking:) I know, very scientific. I will try to get some actual measurements.

Keang--I will post completed pics (though my photo skills leave a lot to be desired) along with all specs next week, but the finish is satin charcoal and yes 20".

Ryan

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are the offsets on the HRE? 20x9et? and 20x10.5et?

Thanks
Keang--
I don't know the offsets. It's possible it is stamped on the inside of the wheels, but unfortunately I am on vacation this weekend and can't look. If no one else chimes in with the answer, I will try and look for you Sunday.

Ryan

Reactions: keang24
1 - 19 of 19 Posts