BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that after a bit of hard driving, the boot of many of our cars is covered with tiny drops of what seems to be oil. Has anyone ever noticed this too? Is this something to worry about?

:cheers:
Erik

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Prutser said:
I noticed that after a bit of hard driving, the boot of many of our cars is covered with tiny drops of what seems to be oil. Has anyone ever noticed this too? Is this something to worry about?

:cheers:
Erik
Could be unburnt oil from the engine that has vapourised into oil mist through the combustion process & as exhaust gas existing the tailpipe, has been caught by the aerodynamic wake of the car & cooled thereby depositing it on the rear of the vehicle.

Of course, if the rear is covered in oil, then that points to much more significant wear.

Also worth checking if there are significant oil deposits under the car from any driveline components.

Farrell

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
hopefully its just some sludge you drove through.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
farrell said:
Of course, if the rear is covered in oil, then that points to much more significant wear.

Also worth checking if there are significant oil deposits under the car from any driveline components.

Farrell
It's not really soaked of course, but especially if the car has just been washed, the tiny drops are easy to spot. Especially on the black plastic between the taillights.
I've seen this even on cars whose engine and driveline were completely dry. Hence, it must be coming from the exhaust.

Erik

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Was it as much as this...

Of course, this is not oil, but just demonstrates how much muck is thrown up onto the rear during 'normal' driving. Even squirting a bottle of water at it didn't remove much :hihihi:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Prutser, there was mention of this recently, I think it was Stevie, Donati etc, anyway a weeping diff can cause spots of oil to be blown back on to the rear. I have noticed the same on the back of my car, cause is a leaking oil pressure switch.

cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Phlem5 said:
Prutser, there was mention of this recently, I think it was Stevie, Donati etc, anyway a weeping diff can cause spots of oil to be blown back on to the rear.
Correct, i had a leaking diff, that showed itself by spraying oil on the rear end of the car, whenever i was driving fast.
A couple of cheap gaskets (fill and drain plugs), and it was fine again :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Donati said:
Correct, i had a leaking diff, that showed itself by spraying oil on the rear end of the car, whenever i was driving fast.
A couple of cheap gaskets (fill and drain plugs), and it was fine again :)
ok, I'll have to take a careful look at the diff then. Maybe clean it thoroughly and examine it again after a bit of fast driving. I browsed some older similar threads and in many cases it appears to have been a leaking diff.

thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts