BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! My first post to this great resource. Thanks in advance for any recommendations/advice.

So what I have: 1994 E34 M5 Euro 3.8L

Issue: Very tiny oil leak that will drip a few drops every evening. I would like to get ahead of this issue. Last night I cleaned the undercarriage and removed any oil grime and road debris as best I could. This evening I narrowed down the leak to the passenger rear of the oil pan, just between the last two bolts.

Question: Can I tighten those two bolts in hope of seating the gasket better? Could I apply a liquid gasket as a plug to the leak? Do I need to have a new gasket installed?

Photos: The last three photos show the leak

photo hosting

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi, it can't hurt to check the sump bolts as the cork gasket can compress. However, due to the location I wouldn't be surprised if the rear crank seal turns out to be the problem.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Nice info. Gives me a job for the weekend. I'm a lazy git and can someone tell me the torque ? feel free to tell me to bog off and look it up.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Nice info. Gives me a job for the weekend. I'm a lazy git and can someone tell me the torque ? feel free to tell me to bog off and look it up.
Repair manual says oil pan and.... nothing. Only drain plug torq 35Nm. Other source says 8.8 bolt 10Nm and 10.9 bolt 12Nm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On bimmerfest.com I also got the following reply from paul1733:

The recommended torque is 10Nm, if you have a torque wrench you can check it. If not, then its up to you how tight you want to go or replace the pan gasket gasket.

·
Registered
510 Posts
That is impressively clean, for now....

Keep watching for other tracks above that spot also, I am sure you are aware of the usual sources....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Tighten all the bolts on the leaking side, not just the two you suspect are loose. Also, loosen all the bolts and then tighten them to specification, which is pretty low torque (around 10 ft pounds). I've done this before and the first time it was under the direction and supervision of master BMW mechanic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts