BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just picked up my 1999 M5 today and had been driving it around as you do when you first receive the car.

So when I got home and had it running on idle in my garage, I noticed an intermitent *tink* noise that seemed to be coming from the engine on the passenger side (left). The *tink* sounded like metal on metel, and occured not systematically regularly, but around every 5 seconds or so.

I switched off the engine and the *tink* continued on.

I just went outside now to check on the car (some 30 minutes later) and of course the sound is gone.

Is this something to be concerned about? I ran a search on "tink" and someone briefly suggested it "may just be the engine block cooling down", but that tinking noise was to do with an internal *tink*

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
134 Posts
as far as I know there is nothing that would cause a tink sound every 5 seconds.

I'm almost positive this is just the engine / exhaust system cooling down, especially since you say it was gone after 30 minutes.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Another thread about strange noise's leaking under the bonnet.
I have to say that I have never heard of this type of noise, the 5 second thing that is.
Question, has your car sitting around for a while before you picked it up, if so I would not worry about it unless the sound remains after about 2-3 start-up or after you have been driving regularly for a few days. I can leave mine for about a week and then when I start her up tick, tick, tick, tick for a while then it goes.

·
4,353 Posts

I've heard *tink*'s on more than one car and it was every few seconds, but it was after shutting off the engine...that is an exhaust noise[after running during warm/hot weather], so make sure it's not that[noise could be as close as the headers so it could sound like it's coming from the engine]...

·
Registered
195 Posts
You are most certainly not alone.
Mine "tinks" as well.
It is the strangest thing.
Never used to do it, and then one day just started tinking...

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't know whether or not you get have the floating disks, but they can make some serious noise too, besides an exhaust, when cooling down... It's all normal though, nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't tink it's anything to worry about.

*Terribly sorry*
*slaps forehead with palm of hand*

*but still breathes a nice sigh of relief*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts