BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hey Tim, time to weigh from central Ohio. Timmayfest 2010 was a great event with a mix of vendors, raffles, classics, local sponsors, country drives, photo sessions, dyna etc. In short ... you nailed it. A few suggestions for a hopeful 2011.
* Spread the work load and limit financial exposure - we have a great membership which will work hard to plan and execute in 2011.
Not interested in drag but very interested in track event for reasonsable cost. This will take early planning and early financial down payment. To get the numbers we will need a larger draw BMW's ++. We can set the target number, cost, and date to commit and push to all BMW/German forums. If it all comes up short a local venue with a large parking lot will always do.
In short I'm looking forward to 2011, anything from a parking lot, open grassy field, to Mid Ohio or similar.
Let's get is started with a mini Central Ohio gathering this fall to plan for 2011.

Meet and greets work well to meet owners and their rides - breakfasts + dinners in a large seating format.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My Eurocharged Timmayfest thoughts:
Friday night was kind of a bust for those of us traveling for a while to get there, because after 8 most people were gone. The clubs saturday were fun, lol. I would be down for a drag event as well. We have had great success in booking the drag strip for events on the cheap, and it also provided with parking around. Get some people to bring grills or get the catering trucks to come out.

The dinner Saturday was funny, a big old mess. Food was great though. We had a hard time getting over there as we had to pack up the equipment and get the heck off the "property" and by that time most were leaving.

We need to also work into the event the various routes people are taking to get there. With these types of things, that always turns out to be a great time.

The event itself was great Tim. The venue did suck, but that was not your fault. (from the reasons we both know) A larger venue is definitely needed, as well as some more supporting vendors to help offset the costs.

From the vendor standpoint: ya we lost our *** lol. But what ya gonna do. We need to build more publicity around the event and market it accordingly. I can help with that.

Going forward:
We have done a ton of events like this, and are starting to plan a show the size of HIN (600+ cars) for next year at soldier field. Tim, get a committee together to start with, and delegate from there. I would love to be part of the planning of the event, just let me know.

As far as the dyno...we will have to see...

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Tim,

Try not to put so much pressure on yourself. I went through similar anxiety, though on a much smaller scale, when you guys came here in August to work together on Peter's car. I was worried about everything....Dinner plans, garage too hot (which it was), etc., but in the end everyone had a good time. And it wasn't because anything I did or didn't do. It was simply a matter of comradery and connection by way of a common interest.

Hell, put us in an empty parking lot and we will find a way to have fun. I truly believe that no matter where we end up meeting, it will be a success. One suggestion, this time we need bottled water. I still have in my head a vision of Steve running around like a freak after downing a couple of those Nos energy drinks.:shakemitkopf: I later learned that he is like that naturally. :D

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Tim,

Try not to put so much pressure on yourself. I went through similar anxiety, though on a much smaller scale, when you guys came here in August to work together on Peter's car. I was worried about everything....Dinner plans, garage too hot (which it was), etc., but in the end everyone had a good time. And it wasn't because anything I did or didn't do. It was simply a matter of comradery and connection by way of a common interest.

Hell, put us in an empty parking lot and we will find a way to have fun. I truly believe that no matter where we end up meeting, it will be a success. One suggestion, this time we need bottled water. I still have in my head a vision of Steve running around like a freak after downing a couple of those Nos energy drinks.:shakemitkopf: I later learned that he is like that naturally. :D
+100

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
QS&L told me I was not allowed to bring ANY BEVERAGES of ANY KIND onto the premises. Then Jake shows up with all of that NOS! LOL! We will have PLENTY of bottled water for next year.

I would like to form a committee with pretty much everyone that showed up at Adam's house, and Jake of course, if you guys would be so kind as to help. I consider you all my "close" friends, people I can trust, to take care of things. Except maybe Raza, damn kids. LOL.

The sponsor thing was a COMPLETE mess. I had several sponsors that were VERY helpful and easy to work with and others that I couldn't get a hold of blah, blah, blah. Next year it will be cut and dry on the conditions. We will plan it for charity again, so there won't be any money to be made by those of us involved in the planning.

Dinner was a train wreck. That will be fixed this year. The wife and I have already had that discussion. She will be helping me with the planning a bit more this year.

Track time will be tough, Mid Ohio is booked for YEARS out, and is VERY expensive. I also am not really interested in organizing a "track day", too much responsibility and legal crap. (Yes Peter, I said legal CRAP, LOL) I would rather leave that to people who do it regularly and attend sometime. This event is more for us to hang out and have a good time as friends. The drag strip will be very easy and inexpensive to secure, they have the waivers for everyone to sign so I'm not responsible, and will have plenty of room for all of us to park together and have fun. I would like to see some 1/4 times from some of these SC cars anyway. I personally probably won't drag my car, but would love to hang out and watch some cars run. We can talk about that more in a group setting, get everyone's thoughts.

Right now, for Saturday, my leading venue thought is a fairground somewhere. Open lot we can park in, set up vendors, power for the dyno and the dj, and some SHADE this year. Have the event start earlier, say 10-4 so the dyno guys have time to tear down, with more help from us, so they can join us for dinner. I can get some food vendors there or we can bring a few grills and handle the food ourselves pot luck style. We have enough local guys, who I hope would be willing to bring their grills to make sure we have enough to cook that much food. Chris isn't allowed to cook though, I don't like GRAVEL as a topping. LOL. Maybe take a $5-$10 donation to eat to offset the cost and raise some money for charity. Again, the wife is going to help me with the planning for this. (She does PR for a major retail store warehouse and organizes thing like this all the time.)

OK. First thing's first. The Date.

First option - May 20, 21 (Fri, Sat)

Second option - June 10,11 (Fri, Sat)

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I keep tellin you guys thats my special seasoning.

My vote (if we are starting this) is for the June date.

Also, Tim, PLEASE let me know what I can do. Im down to help in ANY way I can.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I was not there last year. . .BUT. . .

You could have it in a field, fairground, parking lot, gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse, dog house or cathouse (if we are counting votes then cathouse would be my preference) and I WILL be there. . .so many nice rides, so much knowledge and (what very much seems to be) great members that I would really love to meet.

Even though I am in Pittsburgh - if there is ANYTHING I can do to help out you can count on me to contribute.

Thanks for taking the initiative to do it again -- and thanks for taking it as seriously as you do. It's hard work having fun eh? I can't wait!:applause:

Mike

·
Registered
93 Posts
come to think about it, maybe we should start the advertising early! Maybe even get someone to do a website for us....

oh wait.....looks like "someone" already did :blink:

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ok, after speaking with some guys who have been to National Trails Raceway a few times, (drag strip) they said that it would be a perfect place to hold the show on Saturday. Nice open lot to fit 200+ cars, with facilities, power for our equipment, and a strip for those who want to make some runs. I am going to call out there tomorrow and get some prices.....

·
Banned
174 Posts
Deffinetly a very nice track. Hell, its a NHRA track for Christ sake. Damn, if you do a 1/4 mile track event I may have to get a C6 Z06.

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Deffinetly a very nice track. Hell, its a NHRA track for Christ sake. Damn, if you do a 1/4 mile track event I may have to get a C6 Z06.
You should do that so that when I get my car running we can go head to head! Ray has to come and bring his drag slicks (on Dinan wheels, no less!)

--Peter

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
She better be running tip top to run a C6 Z06! ;)
You know C6 Z's have those "shift it yourself" type transmissions, right? :D

21 - 40 of 200 Posts