BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Timing cover oil leak.

Hi all, have just replaced timing cover gaskets today,:D a heck of a job and will do the sump tomorrow, didnt manage to remove sump though, the engine is raised and just about touching the fire wall and not enough for sump out would have been nice for proper inspection but enough room for gasket relacement. The cover was loose after removing bolts and condition of gaskets on one side was very oily, think it had been done previously but very roughly as gasket was broken and would have leaked straight away when done, anyway the concern fer me was the way cover came off and went back on so a couple of practice runs at cover replacement without gasket attached,then stick the gaskets onto the cover with Hylomar and nothing on the other side then trim gaskets flush new seal reshaping locating dowels and grinding a slight taper on one end of dowels to enable correct reffitting, this went back on sweetly :grinyes: so all back together Mon Tues and job jobbed and end of oil leak. :byebye:

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Well done Steve .

An S38 without an oil leak .......now that's an achievement !

D

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Steve, both of these jobs about to be done on mine - how long did the timing cover gasket take and do you have the relevant part numbers to hand??

Thanks

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
The sump should be removed & cleaned ideally.
The sump gasket should only be done in isolation of frt timing cover if timing
cover is not leaking.
The frt timing cover always leaks from where it abuts the head.

If you don't do these jobs properly, you get another go at doing them again
quite soon.

Part number avaialable on ETK or Real OEM.
All the sump & frt timing cover gaskets are same for 3.6 & 3.8 iirc.

Farrell

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
We'll drop the subframe and remove the sump in that case, lots of suspension stuff to sort anyway, so can do it all at once - thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Timing cover

Hi again, thanks for reply, I think the right BMW tec would take around 10 hours,they have all the right equipment I fortunatly have a friend who is a skilled engineer and a BMW nut and also very fussy, the hard part was removing the Hub that took about 4/5 hours to there, but everything happened as it should of but that was done by taking time and being carefull
cheers Steve:haha:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after having a good think about removing sump, we decided to drop the front axle support , this turned out to be a lot easier than i thought,cleaning off the old gasket and trying to install the new one with sump hanging down a few inches would have been tricky So sump off and an opportunity to see the bottom end was good, then give sump proper chemical wash then stick gasket to block with a little Hylomar and bolt up sweetly.
Then all new belts on and radiator in and all connected and all is good, so after driving about for a couple of days all is clean and dry :haha2::haha2: and me now happy. This actually took about two days and for me was a lot learned I enjoyed every minute.This M5 is worth the special attention it deserves cheers . Steve ;)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well after having a good think about removing sump, we decided to drop the front axle support , this turned out to be a lot easier than i thought,cleaning off the old gasket and trying to install the new one with sump hanging down a few inches would have been tricky So sump off and an opportunity to see the bottom end was good, then give sump proper chemical wash then stick gasket to block with a little Hylomar and bolt up sweetly.
Then all new belts on and radiator in and all connected and all is good, so after driving about for a couple of days all is clean and dry :haha2::haha2: and me now happy. This actually took about two days and for me was a lot learned I enjoyed every minute.This M5 is worth the special attention it deserves cheers . Steve ;)
Well done Steve :M5thumbs: .

Nothing better than undertaking a job yourself and the desired result is achieved.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts