BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just fired up my completely rebuilt engine and have a distinct whine from the cam chain or associated components. Any ideas folks?

To clarify, I have replaced the chain, all sprockets, guides, and put the M3 tensioner in at the same time.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, home built M5 touring. 3.6 5 speed.

Brand new chain from dealer as were all the other wallet exploding bits. :(

·
10,457 Posts
i noticed a bit more timing chain whine on my 3.6 when i put the s50 chain tensioner in. How bad is the noise? Just noticable, or 'oh man this is going to blow up' noise?

Reactions: Spyder

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah that's a relief Mottati, thank you. As no-one else reported any increase in noise with the new cam chain tensioner I thought I was being a little paranoid.
It is quite noticeable but not overly worrying.
I'm hoping as some miles go on it it'll quieten down.

·
10,457 Posts
mine did make a little more noise. Oddly, my 3.8 also has the s50 chain tensioner but it's quiet. So i think it's variable.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I tried one on my and it whined badly, so I went back to the original set up - silence! I seem to be on my own here but I don't see this as any upgrade, if the chain whines it's probably too tight and a potential problem.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's interesting, think i'll stick the old one in and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions fellas :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
Not alone here gents. I think we've discussed this in another thread a while back, but my car was the same. Rebuilt motor with all new timing components and S50 tensioner and I thought the chain whine was "excessive" so I bought all new S38 tensioner parts and fitted that to test... lo and behold: silence.

The conclusion we collectively came to in that other thread is that the S50 is a good upgrade but maybe not completely suitable for a brand new motor. Once things slacken off and wear out a bit I will re-fit the S50 and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I had the same for approx 300 miles post rebuild. Went soon after... didn't concern me... sounded like a lot of new cars.

·
Registered
453 Posts
On my b36 I changed to an S50 tensioner at around 55k km and the chain also whined a lot more than the std one.

Having said that - I much prefer the whine than the clatter it made with the old tensioner at a steady 2200 rpm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts