BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Embedded video in post:

The chain tensioner should spring back out and pick up the slack, which it clearly isn't.

·
Registered
765 Posts
^I haven't done it myself, but from reading Raikku's (VantaaM5) old posts the chains will need to come off unfortunately. Unless there is a way to unseize that tensioner which I highly doubt..

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Wait. The tensioner sits in one orientation on one bank and is inverted on the other. I remember having my valve covers off after my engine build and comparing the two and thinking that one bank was not tensioning. I then realized it was just an appearance because of the inversion. The bank where the "springy" side of the tensioner faces downward can appear untensioned. That MAY or MAY NOT be your situation,as there probably should not be that amount of slack regardless. Just wanted you to have the benefit of my experience. In my case, Raza got a late night panic call, followed shortly by an apologetic realization call!

--Peter

·
Registered
6,918 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
It's an oil fed tensioner.
Maybe when the engine's running it operates better.
Don't know how you would check so probably better to just replace it.
Mmmm, need to check real OEM on this, if its flush fit with o ring seal & Bolted down then it should be possible to change without removing the chains , if it has a spigot into the casing then your fecked

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, I did some extensive searching to get to this post and without starting another please allow me to revive this one. My cam chain has the play exactly as the OP's video. Has it been concluded that this is normal or not?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi all, I did some extensive searching to get to this post and without starting another please allow me to revive this one. My cam chain has the play exactly as the OP's video. Has it been concluded that this is normal or not?
Bumping an old post there bubba, chain slack isn’t of much concern as the chain guides disintegrating will be your initial issue. Thats when you may as well replace everything associated with a new timing chain install.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bumping an old post there bubba, chain slack isn’t of much concern as the chain guides disintegrating will be your initial issue. Thats when you may as well replace everything associated with a new timing chain install.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the response. I found those stupid lego block material from a guide in my sump. Why the f*** would BMW opt for such s*** quality material on a guide. Anyway I started stripping to replace the guides. Not a 100% confident yet on the timing of vanos so I am still reluctant to remove the vanos. Still reading up day after day and night after night while I'm stripping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts