BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys:

I was told about a car that might need a timing chain replacement. It has 55,000 miles, and I was under the impression that these were "lifelong" timing chains. A search on the board revealed timing chain guides, random objects that fell into the engine near the timing chain, and the fact that the S62 uses a timing chain.

But what about replacements? Has anyone's car needed one?

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
AFAIK, you are correct about the chain lasting the life of the engine. And yes, they can still break or need servicing e.g. chain guides...but not a very common issue. Again this is AFAIK, so I'd let other chime in.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AFAIK, you are correct about the chain lasting the life of the engine. And yes, they can still break or need servicing e.g. chain guides...but not a very common issue. Again this is AFAIK, so I'd let other chime in.
Thanks bud. I just have a hard time thinking it needs a new chain (which my broker quoted at $3,500...who knows :p). I swear, I just need to buy a damned car and get over my "first time owning S62 oh noes" worries...I just got in a fight with one of my best friends (visiting from NorCal) over how much time I spend at the office/looking at cars, and how much I ignore her :eek:.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
55000mi isnt nearly enough to warrant a timing chain replacement. What makes them think it needs a new timing chain?
Just what the broker said. He wasn't sure though, so he'll let me know when he sees the car. That's what I think as well.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
You will never have to change the timing chain in your lifetime. (It will probably load 10 tons of bricks onto a flatbed.)

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Anyone else hear that claxon warning siren and see the red lights????

'My Broker said it needs a new timing chaing and it will be around $3500' [loosely quoting]

1. I have never heard of a timing chain needing replacement. I've read a few posts.

2. There are many noises an S62 can make. There are very, very few mechanics that can perfectly diagnose repairs based on sound.

3. Who knows what is up with the motor... nothing? Vanos? bearings? Overreved?

There is no way I'd buy a 'winged' car at auction... heck, I wouldn't buy one unless a BMW Tech had taken the motor apart and I had a written work order on repairs... and even then...

A

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone else hear that claxon warning siren and see the red lights????

'My Broker said it needs a new timing chaing and it will be around $3500' [loosely quoting]

1. I have never heard of a timing chain needing replacement. I've read a few posts.

2. There are many noises an S62 can make. There are very, very few mechanics that can perfectly diagnose repairs based on sound.

3. Who knows what is up with the motor... nothing? Vanos? bearings? Overreved?

There is no way I'd buy a 'winged' car at auction... heck, I wouldn't buy one unless a BMW Tech had taken the motor apart and I had a written work order on repairs... and even then...

A
Thanks ard. I called my service advisor, and it seems like that car has been serviced well. Although at 16k, it needed a new clutch, and then another at 35k. Those were the only "issues". I'll take it to BMS assuming I get the car and have them do a full inspection. If those results are good, I'll keep her.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Hey ard: What do you mean by winged car?
Just 'a car with reported issues'...

Buying any car at auction is a risk, so I would want to be sure that there is nothing anyone has said or heard that might indicate a problem. Someone says "there is a slight ticking sound, probably a timing chain that will only run $3500" would put that car into the 'reported issue' category.

It all depends on price, of course. If you can get an 03 with 30k miles for $12, who cares if it needs a new motor

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks ard. I called my service advisor, and it seems like that car has been serviced well. Although at 16k, it needed a new clutch, and then another at 35k. Those were the only "issues". I'll take it to BMS assuming I get the car and have them do a full inspection. If those results are good, I'll keep her.

not to worry you, but a clutch every 15k (or thereabouts) would not suggest a gentle lifestyle, or much care about the car. Clutch should last somewhere around the 50k to 60k mark if its driven sensibly and the person doesnt do too many wheelspins

·
Registered
365 Posts
timing chain

they are thinking Audi--seems like that V8 needed new chain every 60K, and it was pretty costly for them also.

does anyone know, if the timing chain were to break, is the M engine the sort that part collide, destroying the engine (that's how the audi V8 works)?

ssomed

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
I'll take the opposition view and state that needing a clutch that frequently doesn't necessarily imply a rough lifestyle so much as it does someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick...

d-

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I'll take the opposition view and state that needing a clutch that frequently doesn't necessarily imply a rough lifestyle so much as it does someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick...

d-
+1

·
Registered
386 Posts

d-
you are completely correct, and i am not saying that it needs to be a problem, my cars get driven very hard, and last as long as everyone elses (always M cars), just something to pay attention too. check if it has any minor accidents (common amongst "spirited" drivers, what states the bushes are in, does it have a full history, (although that wont show bushes, suspension etc.).

I still think that 15k for a clutch is really not very much at all, as these are quite strong, especially given american driving conditions.

i would not worry about the engine too much, they seem to be as solid as any other engine, as does the gearbox, the problem is that M engines traditionally have wirrs and fizzzs that other engines dont have (often sounding like diesels, in the case of me M330), so even those are often not a reliable indicator of health.

see if you can get a year warranty, any problems sho8uld work themselves out in the first few months:cheers:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts