BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The question has been asked about how long it takes to build the M5. Here is the chronology of my car so far. I'll post the final results as they become available. I got the allocation July 25, 2005 for September production, week 37 build.

150-Production started 9/1/05 6:33:33 AM
(at this stage they just make sure all parts will be available and this is the only status where an actual time is stamped on my paperwork)

151-Entry body shop/serial number assigned 9/7/05-Wednesday
(although I had VIN at 150 status, this is really when production begins)

152- Entry paint shop 9/9/05-Friday
(hit paint on Friday and I believe Dingolfing is only a M-F plant)

153-Entry assembly 9/12/05-Monday

154-Assembly 9/12/05-Monday

To be continued...all the way through delivery to Florida, USA.

MJ
'03 black/black
'06 Silver Gray/Black

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I hope your car is early Friday painting... otherwise.. the weekend might have already started!!! And of course... Monday assembly....

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your dealer can give you all info. They can log on to their DCS-net and give you up-to-the-minute status of your vehicle everyday. Make them work for their $8000 profit.

MJ

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
vndkshn said:
I hope your car is early Friday painting... otherwise.. the weekend might have already started!!! And of course... Monday assembly....
Yeah, I know. The old Monday and Friday car dilemma. Luckily, the robots paint the car and I don't think they were watching the clock for Miller time or Beck's time. But the assembly humans can drink on the line in Germany!!

MJ

·
Registered
65 Posts
MJ said:
The question has been asked about how long it takes to build the M5. Here is the chronology of my car so far. I'll post the final results as they become available. I got the allocation July 25, 2005 for September production, week 37 build.

(at this stage they just make sure all parts will be available and this is the only status where an actual time is stamped on my paperwork)

To be continued...all the way through delivery to Florida, USA.

MJ
'03 black/black
'06 Silver Gray/Black
Thanks for the info. Mine went 150 today.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
When should I expect the dealer to be able to give me a production number? I already provided my specs for a December delivery, which I assume means November build. Also, what is the last stage of the process at which the specifications of colors and options can be changed?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
***BREAKING NEWS***

My car was completed today. The timeline continues...

I got the allocation July 25, 2005 for September production, week 37 build.

155-Assembly finish/quality check-9/12/05-Monday
(a very productive day, obviously in production early Monday and finished at the end of the day)

The trek continues...watch this post for MJ's continuing M5 saga.

MJ

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hate to say it but mine is week 36, been done since Sept 6th and STILL sitting there not on the boat....along with all the others.

FLOYD..

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
m5floyd said:
Hate to say it but mine is week 36, been done since Sept 6th and STILL sitting there not on the boat....along with all the others.

FLOYD..
I know. My high-placed friends in Woodcliff Lake, NJ held the boat for my car to be completed. Your car will soon be on the boat with mine.

MJ

·
Registered
331 Posts
MJ said:
I know. My high-placed friends in Woodcliff Lake, NJ held the boat for my car to be completed. Your car will soon be on the boat with mine.

MJ

well then your friends delayed my car too-- its been finished for over a week and just sitting. thanks alot MJ heh :sad2:

·
Registered
65 Posts
MJ said:

MJ
Hopefully they will hold the boat for mine, too.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
MJ said:
***BREAKING NEWS***

My car was completed today. The timeline continues...

I got the allocation July 25, 2005 for September production, week 37 build.

155-Assembly finish/quality check-9/12/05-Monday
(a very productive day, obviously in production early Monday and finished at the end of the day)

The trek continues...watch this post for MJ's continuing M5 saga.

MJ
Great News!

I'm not sure if it's better having all this info, or the old way, where it shows up and the dealer calls you!!!
Keep us updated on the progress.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The car is still status 155-Assembly finish/quality check as of 9/13/05, but the estimated production moved back from 9/14/05 to 9/15/05. Maybe they are spending extra time for QC or rework??

Checking Wallenius the next ships leave Bremmerhaven for Charleston on:

9/17
9/19
9/22
9/23

Some make a New York call and some don't.

MJ

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Going the wrong way...

9/15/05-Thursday-still status 155 Production complete/quality check. BUT, the estimated comlpetion date moved back from 9/15/05 to 9/21/05.

MJ

·
Registered
65 Posts
MJ said:
Going the wrong way...

9/15/05-Thursday-still status 155 Production complete/quality check. BUT, the estimated comlpetion date moved back from 9/15/05 to 9/21/05.

MJ
Mine remains at 150 (since Monday of this week).

·
Registered
431 Posts
MJ..same here I think the california shipment left to get there for OCT 14 arrival. Ours will leave for Charleston on the 23-27th for it to get in at the same time as the Californians so there will be a official launch date and all get their cars within the same 1 or 2 days. That comes from a guy who has seen M5 launch dates for 20 years. Poor guy.....we shall see if he is right. If our cars leave earlier than the 23, he's wrong.

M5Floyd

MJ said:
Going the wrong way...

MJ

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
m5floyd said:
MJ..same here I think the california shipment left to get there for OCT 14 arrival. Ours will leave for Charleston on the 23-27th for it to get in at the same time as the Californians so there will be a official launch date and all get their cars within the same 1 or 2 days. That comes from a guy who has seen M5 launch dates for 20 years. Poor guy.....we shall see if he is right. If our cars leave earlier than the 23, he's wrong.

M5Floyd

Floyd,

There was no coordianted USA launch date for the E39 M5. They trickled in from late Sept-Oct 1999.

MJ

·
Registered
331 Posts
m5floyd said:

M5Floyd

floyd- what is the automated system saying about your production status? today, it was saying "your vehicle is being transported to the port of exit" about mine. if all cars are being delivered at the same time, does that mean that my car will be sitting at the port of exit for almost 2 weeks?? what do you think?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts