BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very nice Woody! I know you’re still dialing in the suspension trying different rates and settings. Once dialed in, will be even grippier and better handling. Car sounds great!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Little update. All is good. MCS is sending a softer set of springs to see how they feel. Right now, the e60 really feels like an awesome track car v. canyon carver -- which means, she can go a little softer. It's nice that they are letting me dial in the finer details.

There is no drama, whatsoever. The grip is inspiring. Getting on the freeway today and pushing a 996 without any drama. I was on my headset/phone -- client didn't even know I was giving it some beans. At about 14 seconds in, I thought about taking the long way around. I had SO MUCH GRIP, but I was 1) on the phone, and 2) he had his right blinker on. I didn't want him to drift wide.

And another entrance ramp from today:

Little update. All is good. MCS is sending a softer set of springs to see how they feel. Right now, the e60 really feels like an awesome track car v. canyon carver -- which means, she can go a little softer. It's nice that they are letting me dial in the finer details.

There is no drama, whatsoever. The grip is inspiring. Getting on the freeway today and pushing a 996 without any drama. I was on my headset/phone -- client didn't even know I was giving it some beans. At about 14 seconds in, I thought about taking the long way around. I had SO MUCH GRIP, but I was 1) on the phone, and 2) he had his right blinker on. I didn't want him to drift wide.

And another entrance ramp from today:

Damn Woody, I really like how your car sounds. Dunno if its the secondary cat delete or the Dinan section 3. Not really a fan of muffler deletes. I just got my decat RMS manifolds installed and it not really as nice and loud as I want it to be. Makes me wanna get a full 1 - 3 system with no cats.. hmmmmm. And how is the clutch and single mass flywheel holding up? I might need to get those done in a year or two.

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Damn Woody, I really like how your car sounds. Dunno if its the secondary cat delete or the Dinan section 3. Not really a fan of muffler deletes. I just got my decat RMS manifolds installed and it not really as nice and loud as I want it to be. Makes me wanna get a full 1 - 3 system with no cats.. hmmmmm. And how is the clutch and single mass flywheel holding up? I might need to get those done in a year or two.
Thanks! I’m running m5Jed’s #einhornindustries headers and track pipe (which is Section 1 and 2), plus the Dinan Section 3. My Dinan Section 1 resonator had a weld split, about 3 or 4 years ago. Jed rewelded the resonator, let me borrow his track pipe, and we keep forgetting to swap them back.

The clutch and LTFW seem to be holding up. I say seem, because there has been no drama. The expected chatter is not bad. The biggest difference has to be the rate which the flywheel spins up and drops. H/T shifts are much easier, as it’s easier to blip the throttle. If you are slow/sloppy in any part of your shift, you will feel it. Pedal pressure is not much worse than OEM.

Alex @iDev326 came by gave her a spin the other day. He can comment further. Overall, I’ve built something that is very streetable, but much sharper than what came out of ///motorsport.

She’s got a lot of salt and pepper #patina on her face from 164,000 miles, but everything mechanical under the skin is new.
2829CB12-7023-4E45-B7F0-FE2FD12DD0AC.jpeg

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Realized I never updated this thread. Details are here:

E60 was a monster with the MCS. Ate a Beetle running in the open group. I’ll post the video later. Imma Shark! Imma Shark! Outta my way Beetle!
Video here:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Kinda of relevant but not really at all... We chasing Beetles out here? (I ate the 911 up, held on to the S2000 the entire session, but couldn't touch the Exige on the tight course we were on that day)

More on topic, love your car, Woody, I think it inspires every last one of us here on the board.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Kinda of relevant but not really at all... We chasing Beetles out here? (I ate the 911 up, held on to the S2000 the entire session, but couldn't touch the Exige on the tight course we were on that day)

More on topic, love your car, Woody, I think it inspires every last one of us here on the board.

View attachment 936200
Thanks for the kind words Rich! My e60 has been a lot of fun over the years. Looking forward to seeing yours eating up beetles soon! S2000s and any Lotus on a tight track are no joke. If they are running any aero, then it’s game-over for our grocery getters.
Love to eat cars with my big sedan, I heard some nice heel toe in there.
Without a doubt. I find it more fun to make a NA v10 4door do unthinkable things on a track. On that weekend, we were testing the e30, and I had no intention of running the e60. Had it not been for 1) the dash cams in the e60, 2) two seats, and 3) wanting to learn the line quickly, I would’ve never run my “unprepped” e60.

With that said, hard to beat owning a car than has the ability to go from hauling my 4 1/2 year old, to hauling aZzzz around a track.

·
Registered
301 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
With that said, hard to beat owning a car than has the ability to go from hauling my 4 1/2 year old, to hauling aZzzz around a track.
Woody.. I can totally relate ?.. My wheel and tire specs are almost identical to yours.. even the suspension settings. With your help I was able to get the perfect combo that works.. and looked good at the same time ?

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

·
Registered
499 Posts
I just drove my brothers Focus ST today. He looked at his brake pads a little late so I had to swap them while he was at work. He got plugs for me to do for good measure. We leave for Thunder hill tomorrow.

I HATE torque steer!!!!! It's a fun little car to drive but nothing like my beast with cushy heated leather. I can't believe they get 40-50k for a new one. I will dump money into my M5 all day long before I will live with something else.:love:

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I will dump money into my M5 all day long before I will live with something else.:love:
Pretty much how I feel about the e60 platform. I may add something else to the fleet, but the e60 and e28 are never going anywhere.

·
Registered
212 Posts
@Fiftytwoeighty : how is the ride quality of these MCS on the street, especially over broken pavement? How does it compare to the stock suspension on broken pavement, expansion joints, uneven pavement, etc.? I'm considering the MCS 2W for e39 M5, which is used in a similar fashion as you use your e60: family, fun drives and the occasional track day. I'm also thinking about going with the remote canisters to get the extra "absorption" that MCS said the extra air will give. My car is not a full-on track toy, so civility on the street is important. Thanks for your review.

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
@nyc951
Honestly, a fresh OEM e39m5 setup is really nice. My shop gave me their 212,000 mile stock e39m5 as a loaner, on a fresh suspension — I forgot how well it drove for the street. I ran PSS9 w/camber plates on my e39m5 for years, which was an improvement in adjustability over OEM to corner balance and dial out understeer. For the e60, I have MCS set pretty firm. MCS will work with you on valving and spring rates to dial in your needs. Where MCS sets itself apart is their level of quality. I am now running a 2WNR on my e28m5 as well. I planned on a 3Way Remote for my e28, but they said it was way way overkill for such a light car.

Also, as a Georgia based manufacture, they are relatively easy to contact for the eventual rebuild, as opposed to some of the other non-US based manufactures.

I think @herrubermensch Peter is/was running MCS on his e39m5. From memory, as an early MCS adopter to the e39 platform, I think he did an entire thread on his experience. I think he had some issues with his Ground Control perches; I had the same issue, about 10 years ago, with my old GC perches on my e28m5. So far, I have not had the same issue crop up in my e60. I would love to run MCS in my SpecE30, if I could. MCS is also the official SpecE46 shock.

Found Peter’s thread and have to agree with his comments:

MCS 3-Way Suspension: Teaser | BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums

MCS Coilovers

Noone pays any attention to the best coilovers available for the E39 M5: Home | Motion Control Suspension | Motorsport & Premium Dampers

MCS coilovers are the leading setup for every serious BMW racecar, but they are available in affordable non-race versions as well, including 1-way non-remote, 2-way (bump and rebound adjustable) non-remote, and 2-way, 3-way and 4-way remote. The non-remote versions (meaning adjustable only on the shock with no remote canister) are very affordable and candidly will put every other option discussed in this thread to shame. And not just on the track. The dampening characteristics of the MCS coilovers are so superior, they permit much higher spring rates (which the heavy E39 M5 can use) without sacrificing comfort, particularly the 2-way adjustables. Put all the other options discussed in this thread on a shock dyno and you will be shocked (see what I did there?!) at how ridiculously irregular and non-repeatable the dampening characteristics are.

The guys at MCS used to be at Moton, which previously was the "go to" setup for BMWs.

I have no financial or other interest whatsoever in MCS.

--Peter

41 - 54 of 54 Posts