BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to upgrade my current coilovers with a full motorsport/competition MCS 2 way system.

At about 75,xxx miles I installed CKS Coilovers w/swift springs. A bunch of us gave these a try back in 2012/2013. I don’t know how many are still on them today.

My original thread can be found here:

https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/217706-little-rpi-oil-cooler-love-rd-sport-sways-cks-coils.html

For a relatively “unknown” brand, they held up pretty well. Now, six years and 87,000 miles later, it’s time to replace them. 87,000 miles is good run for a “performance” upgrade. Time to upgrade again! My choices:

1. KW v3. Off-the-shelf solution. Rebuildable. No surprises. Very good street solution.

2. Ground Control. Rebuildable. I have a custom GC setup on my e28 m5 that is a scalpel on the track, but can knock your teeth out on the street. GC now makes an e60 solution, so I was leaning towards GC to build a more street/track solution for me.

3. Bilstein. I had a PSS9 system on my e39 m5. They now make a system for the e60 m5, so that was tempting as well.

4. CKS. 87,000 miles is a good run! When I installed the CKS, I wanted to try something different — and for nearly half the price of the KWs...why not give them a try and drive them into the ground?

5. MCS (Motion Control Suspension). The over the top, rebuildable, motorsport solution that can be dialed back for the street. One of the MCS owners also founded JRZ Suspension Engineering and Moton Suspension Technology. My shop, OMS, installs them on many of their racecars and their client’s racecars. And, Imma sucker, because racecar!!

MCS machines and assembles their components in Alpharetta, Georgia. With the holiday, it will take a couple weeks for them to build my system. From what I understand, I will be the first e60 m5 running their suspension.

I’m looking forward to making a big jump in my suspension game with my e60. Will update this thread once I get them sorted.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Let us know how the MCS handles, personally I opted for solution one. I was on the fence between KW, CKS and BC Racing for a long time. Of course the only bad part going with solution one is that KW has a 8-9 week back order :crying.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raul,

I heard there was a backlog on KWs. Hard to go wrong with a KW setup.

You can take a look at my MCS setup, when they go on. It would be a good excuse to get together.

:cheers:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Raul,

I heard there was a backlog on KWs. Hard to go wrong with a KW setup.

You can take a look at my MCS setup, when they go on. It would be a good excuse to get together.

:cheers:

The backlog is pretty insane, talked to a random M3 guy at a gas station and he told me he waited 10 weeks for his coilovers from KW. Most definitely meet up :thumbsup: maybe even a cruise somewhere local.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looking forward to pics and review. Are you getting the 2 way with the remote reservoir?

Woody is a living legend among us mere mortals :cheers:
Kind words from the Legend himself! I hope you're well, my friend!

Hasan, I'm going with the 2WNR. My thoughts -- I think finding a home for the remotes would be an issue with space. On a track/race car, you can really stick the reservoir anywhere. Finding a clean "factory" location for them on a street car seems harder.

I can't remember, but what are you running for a suspension today? We are handful of the old guys too stubborn to completely abandon the e6x platform.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Kind words from the Legend himself! I hope you're well, my friend!

Hasan, I'm going with the 2WNR. My thoughts -- I think finding a home for the remotes would be an issue with space. On a track/race car, you can really stick the reservoir anywhere. Finding a clean "factory" location for them on a street car seems harder.

I can't remember, but what are you running for a suspension today? We are handful of the old guys too stubborn to completely abandon the e6x platform.

Thanks Woody! Happy independence week to you guys. :smile

I agree with you on finding a clean location for the reservoirs. That is why I asked the question. And you guessed my intention perfectly. :grin

I was on CKS with swift springs like a lot of us here. But then I went back to stock suspension a couple of years back when I got my E36 M3.

Very very stubborn E6x senior citizens. :cheers: That might make a very good bumper sticker.

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah. Finally arrived. They go on tomorrow.

The build:

MCS 2WNR e60 m5
Ground Control e60 m5 Camber Plate 2.5” perch
Ground control e60 m5 rear upper shock mount 14mm ID
Eibach 2.5” Race Spring
2.5” Helper Spring Guide
2.5” Torrington Bearing Kit
2.5” Hyperco Helper Spring
11-12.5” Strut Mounted Swayer End Links

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm in this thread for the review too. Your shocks have no spring plates build in? May be my unfamiliarity with the E60 suspension but I thought all of the shocks and coilovers had to have a lower spring plate for the spring to sit on.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'm in this thread for the review too. Your shocks have no spring plates build in? May be my unfamiliarity with the E60 suspension but I thought all of the shocks and coilovers had to have a lower spring plate for the spring to sit on.
You're correct. If you look at the photos you'll notice coilovers have a threaded body to which the spring plate is attached. You can change ride height by adjusting said plate.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've been on the E60 platform for about 9-10 years, but 6 of it has been on an '06 530, with that sweet m54. Of course, with other platforms on the side, like my now sold e46 m3. I'm trying hard while reading this thread not to order a set of KW's. I just picked up an exhaust, so I can't justify spending another few thousands!

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A couple more teaser pics. The level of machining is at another level. I’m pretty excited to see how this performs as a Motorsports suspension, that you can street.

The guys at OMS reached out to MCS for a consultation. Based on the driver/user profile, MCS will build their system to the specific needs. The process is a little longer, but it’s a solution based on your needs.

If all goes well, I’m going to ditch my Ground Control on my e28 and go for a MCS 3 Way remote system.
D206F7E0-A21E-4AA4-BC92-A8E0FEE89899.jpeg
6E28F42E-CA09-475B-8428-BEC392EEA4CB.jpeg
109B0C51-3F46-4873-AB90-F8CBDB26E5FE.jpeg

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've been on the E60 platform for about 9-10 years, but 6 of it has been on an '06 530, with that sweet m54. Of course, with other platforms on the side, like my now sold e46 m3. I'm trying hard while reading this thread not to order a set of KW's. I just picked up an exhaust, so I can't justify spending another few thousands!
If you order KW's expect a 13 week wait time!!! That's how long I had to wait. But the wait was well worth it!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
A couple more teaser pics. The level of machining is at another level. I’m pretty excited to see how this performs as a Motorsports suspension, that you can street.

The guys at OMS reached out to MCS for a consultation. Based on the driver/user profile, MCS will build their system to the specific needs. The process is a little longer, but it’s a solution based on your needs.

If all goes well, I’m going to ditch my Ground Control on my e28 and go for a MCS 3 Way remote system.
View attachment 930492 View attachment 930493 View attachment 930494
Get those installed this weekend! Do a cruise down the ortega to break them in ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts