BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Time to let go of my gorgeous 1995 M5 Touring

14K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  M5touring reg 
#1 ·
Hi ///M-fans,

Priorities have changed and I will be selling my touring this summer. Never thought I'd do this!
Anyway, the plan is to prepare the car so that it needs nothing (basically all fluids and a good detail).
I will take a few recent pictures and advertise it on the board here and probably bat too.
I expect to list it around $100k USD.

The car has a 3.6 clutch/flywheel combo, a 3.64 LSD, and a shorter throw shifter.
I will include all stock parts with the car (stock shifter, clutch/flywheel and 3.23 stock differential).
Everything (wheels, paint, interior) is pretty much spotless.

I have records since Day 1 pretty much.

Here are some older photos:

See less See more
#5 ·
Screw the Elekta... this is my new dream M5T!

Willing to take 6 various other green BMWs in trade? LOL I'd still fall short by a long shot! Great car, more pics please!

#9 · (Edited)
Very cool Manuel, I’m not a buyer unless you need a kidney :wink

I can’t PM (not enough posts) but if you want to show up at CnC in Lafayette let me know. I’d really like to see the car. It’s at the Flatirons Church on S. Public the first Saturday of every month.

There is also a fairly well known broker in the area that would love to help you sell the car. I can put you in touch if your interested.

#12 ·
link isn't working for me. But my son and i have sold 5 or 6 cars on BaT. All went well, good buyers, no issues, and sold for more than we expected. Great venue for cars like this.

#14 ·
BAT brings top dollar for well sorted and well represented cars. The key is to be as open and honest about the car as possible and be prepared to answer and respond to any and all questions posted in the comments section. Make sure you have all documentation photographed and posted. A professional photo shoot of your car is also recommended. Make sure all defects are photographed and noted (even the smallest scratches). Unanswered questions lead bidders/ buyers to speculate and usually its for the worse. An action that gets no interaction from the seller doesn't do nearly as well. If you go this route be prepared to take the day off the day the auction closes to answer questions. Also plan to check in on and respond to the comments at least daily. BAT will try to beat you up on reserve and make it as low as possible. They want the car to sell. In some case they will actually make up the difference if the bids get close but don't meet reserve. I think your car will do very well on there but you will need to be engaged in the auction start to finish. Not sure what your asking price will be but I'd guess it would go for around 60 to 70k

Good luck

#25 ·
Thanks for your very nice and honest feedback, it's important to me!

Sorting out a car is like sorting anything out, a house or a relationship, they are rarely fully sorted out! I'm just being honest and want to disclose 100% of the issues (which would hardly be noticed by the average person anyway). Plus, there needs to be some room for negotiation ;) !

Also, a car can be sorted out from someone's point of view but not someone else's. Some cars feel "tighter" than others although it may take a more acute and experienced perspective. New parts alone don't make a car necessarily better.

Following purchase, I spent lots of time sorting the car out to bring it up to my standards, most of the work included not a single part. Luckily, our cars are relatively low on maintenance for their type of performance, and quite reliable too!

Uniqueness, factory features, rarity, color, materials, insulated indoor storage, car knowledge, condition (of everything), enthusiast ownership, market, and so on all play a role in determining pricing.

Yes, it's expensive, very expensive, but it's still cheaper than some cars built by the tens of thousands made from cheap material that can go faster but fail to deliver the incredible driving experience and history that the E34 M5 Touring offers.

Not only is it amazing in terms of features and rarity but it also drives incredibly well.
I tried to convey all of this in my ad hopefully it was apparent to some enthusiasts!

#30 ·
I suppose you are not in desperate need to sell? If you were, the proper venue is Bring a Trailer. Otherwise, I do not see a private party ever offering your asking price without buyer competition. It's a wonderful car and I agree the value should lie in rarefied air compared to more common M5 Touring specs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.