BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Figure I'd start off my first forum post with a bang :D My valve cover gaskets are seeping a little and my thermostat is stuck open. So I spent a few hours today getting down to the covers and pulling them off. Tomorrow I'm going to remove the thermostat and then start putting it all back together Friday when my parts arrive. Total time so far is two hours on the dot. I'll update this this first post as I go.

2002 M5, 98k miles

Radiator drained and thermostat housing has been removed. Now I'm just waiting for UPS tomorrow. Total time today was 45 - 60 minutes. So a total of three hours on this project now.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Looks good so far. Do you plan to replace the lower oil separator hoses while you have the thermostat housing off? Now may be the time to do it.

Also, do you have to replace the fasteners for the intake horns after removing them? When I read through the TIS it seemed to imply that, but realoem showed the P/N as NLA.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All the hoses look like they are in really good shape, but I might.

I wasn't planning on replacing the fasteners, heck, they are just 10mm nuts and they were not very tight so I don't really see it being necessary.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Thermostat replacement......sucks!!!

PITA lol

MAKE SURE you have extra Orings for the thermostat housing as you WILL tear at least one and probably a few trying to line them all up and reinserting. I did this on a Sunday (BMW parts store closed). Spent hours getting everything all together. Tore two Orings and needed to use my two extra. Buttoned the car all up....VERY PROUD OF MYSELF for "saving money" doing my own TStat. Started the car up smugly, and my (then) 9 year old son says "Hey Dad! There's green stuff pouring out of the bottom of your car! Is that normal?". Sure enough, I had torn another Oring or 2 while putting the housing back in. Parts shop is closed on Sunday.

Fill the radiator again and make a short (anxious) drive to my indy mechanic with my eyes glue to the temp. Get there and tell him what went down. He looked at me and said, "You tried this in your driveway???? I have an M5 and do this for a living. I HATE the job!"

Ended up paying to have the damned thing replaced by him.

True Story......

:)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Looks good so far. Do you plan to replace the lower oil separator hoses while you have the thermostat housing off? Now may be the time to do it.

Also, do you have to replace the fasteners for the intake horns after removing them? When I read through the TIS it seemed to imply that, but realoem showed the P/N as NLA.

No. Horns come off easily with two nuts for each horn. I would give the hoses a squeeze, and if they feel soft at all...replace them. Also, take a look at the vacuum lines under the plenum. These tend to get brittle and break from repetitive heat cycles. Cheap parts...and now is the time.

Might also use some Throttle Body cleaner on the butterfly valves if they look varnished at all. Just make sure not to allow anything to fall in while working on them (ask me how I know, LOL)

Also....since you have essentially drained your cooling system. Check the integrity of your coolant hoses while you have access. Now is the time. If they feel soft...replace them

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
All the hoses look like they are in really good shape, but I might.

I wasn't planning on replacing the fasteners, heck, they are just 10mm nuts and they were not very tight so I don't really see it being necessary.

and your injectors.....LOL....your fuel rails are right there:tonquesmilie:

I am having flashbacks from the supercharger install/upgrade/injectors/RK plenum plate......and a long saga of looking for boost leaks.

Sorry rambling...too much late night coffee:eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
416 Posts
Indy quoted me 3 hours to replace Tsat. I handed him some extra o-rings. He said he wouldn't need them. 5 hours later he told me he had to do it twice because he tore some o- rings. Refunded me the $2 for the extra o-rings. I told him that's why I didn't try this.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Before I parked my car for the winter I noticed a hot oil smell after about 3-4 minutes of driving, went away quickly. I am guessing my valve cover gasket is leaking on one side (or both?). Thanks for the pics of what I am up against. Looks like lots to take apart to get down there but pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I replaced the thermostat in my M5 last weekend with a friend. No leaks on the first try :)! It really was not difficult at all. It took us around 3 hours all said and done. Just take your time and be sure to lubricate the orings with petroleum jelly.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thermostat replacement......sucks!!!

PITA lol

MAKE SURE you have extra Orings for the thermostat housing as you WILL tear at least one and probably a few trying to line them all up and reinserting. I did this on a Sunday (BMW parts store closed). Spent hours getting everything all together. Tore two Orings and needed to use my two extra. Buttoned the car all up....VERY PROUD OF MYSELF for "saving money" doing my own TStat. Started the car up smugly, and my (then) 9 year old son says "Hey Dad! There's green stuff pouring out of the bottom of your car! Is that normal?". Sure enough, I had torn another Oring or 2 while putting the housing back in. Parts shop is closed on Sunday.

Fill the radiator again and make a short (anxious) drive to my indy mechanic with my eyes glue to the temp. Get there and tell him what went down. He looked at me and said, "You tried this in your driveway???? I have an M5 and do this for a living. I HATE the job!"

Ended up paying to have the damned thing replaced by him.

True Story......

:)
Look below. I did this on my car and member's car on first try. I used tune up grease found in auto stores. dialytic grease or something like that. It is a grey tube.

I replaced the thermostat in my M5 last weekend with a friend. No leaks on the first try :)! It really was not difficult at all. It took us around 3 hours all said and done. Just take your time and be sure to lubricate the orings with petroleum jelly.

Reactions: Wishin4anM5

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thermostat is out and first post updated with pics. Just waiting on for UPS to show up tomorrow so I can start putting it back together.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ah yes - with all those images, I just recapped (thank you) exactly why my original thermostat remains, well, original after 260,000 miles :) & sure, it runs a bit cold in winter, but sure, I'll place that black card board piece behind the kidneys again this season to bring the needle vertical like :)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Look below. I did this on my car and member's car on first try. I used tune up grease found in auto stores. dialytic grease or something like that. It is a grey tube.
Well good on you then~:cheers:

That is not typical...try searching for similar threads recounting misadventures on this forum over the last ten years.

I just want to make sure newer members don't expect this to be "easy"....

Cheers,
Brian

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And I somehow had all the parts shipped to my old house, so now I won't get them until Monday. :grrrrr:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I took a bolt the thread size of the temperature sensor (M12x1.5), which I can't remember now, drilled a thru hole and threaded, put an o-ring under the head, and fittings to get air connected. Just put it in finger tight and apply low pressure of 5-7 psi. If an o-ring split you will hear it right away.

Attachments

·
Registered
294 Posts
And I somehow had all the parts shipped to my old house, so now I won't get them until Monday. :grrrrr:
That's rough, this is why I try to avoid pulling things apart while waiting on parts. Oh well, I'm sure there are other things you can do while it is apart.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts