BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the victim of an over-tightened oil pan drain plug from a previous oil change or owner. Looking at this board, I find that the Time-Sert type of "heli-coil" has been used with great success. Does anyone in the Boston area have a Time-Sert kit they used on their pan and have extra inserts? The kits come with 5 or so inserts and with the necessary tools for installation. Bel-Metric in Tyngsboro has them for $115. New pan & gasket is around $240 but not in stock. So I was wondering if anyone might have the kit they used with left over inserts???

Thanks,
Tom L.
Hingham, MA usa

·
Registered
295 Posts
You're approach of using the Timesert seems better to me than changing the lower pan. This way you will always have a steel thread as opposed to the aluminum that the pan contains.
I hope you find someone that has some extras so you won't have to buy all five.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inside of the threaded plug opening has a slot for draining the last of the oil, I will have to slot the insert accordingly.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The inside of the threaded plug opening has a slot for draining the last of the oil, I will have to slot the insert accordingly.
I think that's the trick. For some reason, probably to gouge M5 owners with deep pockets, the way the oil pan is designed, there is no timesert or helicoil that can accomodate the design.

In your case, the labor to pull the pan, slot the timesert, and then install oil pan is most of the labor. Also, in your case, the savings of $100 does not justify just picking up a new oil pan, but for you, there is none available so it's a different case.

My suggestion would be to just order the new oil pan and wait for it since it seems that the wait time would be similar to looking around for a timesert kit, then slot it (don't know for sure it would work), and use the same labor to remove the oil pan as you would if you just put in a new pan.

Times savings, headaches, and unknown factors don't equate IMHO and believe me I HATE to buy a new oil pan as a solution if I could do it otherwise!

It would have been nice just to be able to leave the damaged oil pan on, insert the timesert, and be done with it, but that freakin slot for drainage screws everything up! LOL!

I hate BMW for this one for sure!

Brent

·
Registered
769 Posts
I think that's the trick. For some reason, probably to gouge M5 owners with deep pockets, the way the oil pan is designed, there is no timesert or helicoil that can accomodate the design.

In your case, the labor to pull the pan, slot the timesert, and then install oil pan is most of the labor. Also, in your case, the savings of $100 does not justify just picking up a new oil pan, but for you, there is none available so it's a different case.

My suggestion would be to just order the new oil pan and wait for it since it seems that the wait time would be similar to looking around for a timesert kit, then slot it (don't know for sure it would work), and use the same labor to remove the oil pan as you would if you just put in a new pan.

Times savings, headaches, and unknown factors don't equate IMHO and believe me I HATE to buy a new oil pan as a solution if I could do it otherwise!

It would have been nice just to be able to leave the damaged oil pan on, insert the timesert, and be done with it, but that freakin slot for drainage screws everything up! LOL!

I hate BMW for this one for sure!

Brent
I was on this predicament last year. I considered using Timesert but I was concerned about the possibility of changing the pitch of the thread resulting in slow oil leaks. So, I ended up buying a new oil pan. I have been doing my own oil change since then but I am seriously considering an oil evacuator for future.

As an afterthought after I installed the new pan, I could have taken the oil pan to a machinist and bore a bigger thread to salvage the old pan. Good Luck.
God Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts