BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone on the board gotten their car smogged yet? especially in california?
there must be a slew of cars due for now or soon.
i'm curious about those who have aftermarket exhausts, software tune. please chime in.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Here in Massachusetts we don't do smog...we do OBD2 if there is a check engine lite on or a safty problem.........you flunk, we don't sniff the pipe.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was just wondering the same thing today as I drove by a smog check station. Having seen how rough they are when they shove the probe up the pipe, I'm a little concerned about having my shiny tips scratched up.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
surely this issue has to have come up for someone with no secondary cats by now...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know my original post has mold growing on it... but ok now i may have an issue. got a message from my local dealer and it states that the car sent a "tele service request" to them that a "statutory emissions test" is due.
anyone know what the heck this is?
i've have at an aftermarket cat-back system, with no 2ndary cats..
by the way, has anyone had to smog their car yet w/out 2ndary cats?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Emissions-OBD II

I don't know exactly what the OBD II diagnostics is measuring/sensing. I have yet to see and adequate explanation. Obviously if the check engine light is on the tech. can visually see that. If the check engine light is off because of the aftermarket tune, is the OBD II still sensing a fault condition in which case you will fail an OBD II emissions test or does the aftermarket tune fool the OBD II diagnostics into making a positive or pass reading inspite of primary and or secondary catalyst removal? Inquiring minds would like to know.:dunno:

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
CA is different the car has to be smogged usually on a Dyno and with the sniffer in the tail pipe, not sure if it will pass without the secondary cats off though.

Sorry can't help on that part.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I sold my M5 to a friend in January and it had to be smogged. Car had full RPi exhaust (ST hi-flow cats Sec 1) and the car passed smog inspection. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
So I guess the answer is that you will require some kind of secondary cat to pass smog or else it will fail, pretty much what I thought.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sold my M5 to a friend in January and it had to be smogged. Car had full RPi exhaust (ST hi-flow cats Sec 1) and the car passed smog inspection. Hope this helps.
thanks bodaddy... hmmm... i guess i need to pay eloy a visit or put my stock pipes back on

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I may buy a stock section one and keep it for just when the time comes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts