BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulling into a parking spot last night and did not see a piece of steel rebar sticking up about 6"-7". The steel rebar was the remnant of a concrete parking bumper/curb. For some reason the parking curb was gone but the steel rebar was still there sticking up waiting to destroy my front bumper. When I pulled in I heard a little scraping sound so I backed up and then "pop!" the lower part of the bumper was destroyed! I have owned many lowered cars and I am always very careful when parking, pulling into driveways, etc, so this really hurt to see. What a bummer considering my front bumper was in prefect shape without even so much as a rock chip on it. Time for a new front bumper. Any recommendations since my insurance will be paying for it? There goes a $500 deductible. Now I'll have to put off buying the BC Racing Coil overs. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Since the insurance is covering it, go with OEM BMW. I have a DDM Tuning repro on the wife's 530i, and while it is fine, I think it is a tad less beefy than OE. In addition, there are various molding indentations which would really need some filler (or at least a few coats of high fill primer and some blocking). If I had to do it entirely on my own dime - as I did the wife's car - , I would probably consider the DDM unit even for my M5.

DDM Bumper: http://www.ddmtuning.com/product.php?II=76

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
You might want to carefully price a bumper cover and paint... I would try and avoid an insurance claim that will count as a 'chargeable claim' if the cost is close to the deductible.

A

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Common problem in this area after the snow plow have cleared parking lots. The concrete parking blocks are usually shifted 1+ foot away from the original position and many times the rebar is still protruding from the asphalt.

You might see if you can get the parking lot owner to step up??

What if someone tripped on this. It is clearly something that should not be ignored.

Bet you are not the only person that has issue with this rebar?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the recommendations. If I do go with an insurance claim, then I will most certainly try to go with an OEM bumper. First I will see if I can price out an alternative that costs around $500 to keep this off of my insurance. I have never had a claim on my insurance in the 15 years I have been driving, so I am guessing it wouldn't be too awful.

This happened in an apartment complex parking lot when picking up a friend. Since it is technically a private parking lot, I wonder if I can get the owner to do anything about it? Something tells me this will be more stress than it's worth to go after the parking lot owner. If it were a public parking lot or a parking lot at a Wal Mart, then I'd be far more likely to confront the owner.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Ouch! I saw the first pic and thought, "Well, that's not horrible..." Then I scrolled down to the second picture...That physically hurt me, sorry.

Seriously had the same reaction. First I was like :sad3: ....then I was like :eek:h: :crying2: :crying:

Bummer man....I feel your pain.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I believe better to go on without insurance in this case as there is 500$ deductible.
maybe someone is parting out m5 in the local area, what you can check as an option if not going for new OEM.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I picked up my car from the body shop today and the new bumper looks great! I ended up going through insurance. The body shop installed an OEM bumper and replaced the front plastic skid plate/under panel as well as the other plastic pieces up front. The total cost was $1200 of which I had to pay the $500 deductible. I spoke with my insurance and my monthly premium will not go up as State Farm did not have to pay over $1000. I am quite happy with the work. Also I have the stock plastic skid plate/under panel sitting in my garage if anyone wants it. There is a very minor scrape on it, but otherwise it's just fine. It's free to anyone local or anyone coming through Southern Oregon.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.