BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Indeed it does, no chatter at all, ever. CNS takes the stock dual mass flywheel and shaves it down to remove the weight, so you're left with all the benefits of a dual mass, but much lighter than stock kit.
I believe Dinan just lightens the flywheel, but CNS has it machined to flatten the surface so it can accept the larger disc. It is almost 1 inch larger in diameter, which is a lot. Not sure it couldn't be done by any good machine shop, but you would at least need the old one in hand to see where the machining took place.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Good point, I hadn't considered that... I know there's a picture on here that compares the Dinan and CNS flywheels. iirc, CNS removes the dowels and drills new holes, too.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Interesting. I know everything Dinan comes with a huge, huge markup. I wonder how much you'd be into this if you started with a $400 brand new LUK DMF and then had a reputable machine shop do the work. That would be interesting to see how much money could be saved.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Interesting. I know everything Dinan comes with a huge, huge markup. I wonder how much you'd be into this if you started with a $400 brand new LUK DMF and then had a reputable machine shop do the work. That would be interesting to see how much money could be saved.
A good part of the charge is R&D (or as we call it, trial and error! LOL). Just taking weight off is not hard, but doing it in a way to optimize performance is what you are after.

Now, if someone has a worn Dinan DMF to look at and we can compare to a stock DMF, then I think you can easily replicate for under $100 of machine shop time. I would probably select a shop that does a lot of race car work too, they would tend to be more familiar with the process IMHO.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Now, if someone has a worn Dinan DMF to look at and we can compare to a stock DMF, then I think you can easily replicate for under $100 of machine shop time. I would probably select a shop that does a lot of race car work too, they would tend to be more familiar with the process IMHO.

Regards,
Jerry
Yeah, that would be nice to have a worn Dinan DMF to compare to the stock one so it could be machined to spec!

·
Registered
14 Posts
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/367730-replacing-clutch-parts-list.html

Stock car. Stock DMF flywheel + South Bend Stage 3 Endurance. Clutch felt really heavy at first, but within two days your foot gets used to it and it feels like stock. Other than that, I'm very happy with this setup. Nice streetable clutch, no on/off feel at all. I actually expected the clutch to be grippier, but I guess kevlar (Endurance) has a lower friction coefficient than organic (Daily).

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice! I'm putting together a list of parts of things I want to replace while I'm in there.

So far I've got the clutch, flywheel, rear main seal, transmission mounts, transmission input and output shaft seal, guibo, and several other parts as well.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I ordered the South Bend stage 2 daily clutch yesterday. Going to pair it up with my UUC ltw flywheel.
Hate to bring back a 4 yr old thread but I'm curious what you opinion is on this clutch at this point? I need to replace my dinan which has lasted 70k miles but don't want to spend that much right now so I'm considering the southbend endurance

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
11 Participants
Jayson
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing