BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This might be the most annoying problem i've ever had in the history of owning cars.

The tilt steering works 4 out of 5 times, but that every one time it just stops working. My car (2008 M5 6mt) has convenient exit so the steering wheel moves up and down when you turn off the car and start it. So when it stops working the steering wheel is locked in the up position. Sometimes it breaks when its in the down position and when I turn off the car its stuck down (which isn't so bad). When it stops working, the tilt adjustment doesn't do anything - you can't move it up and down or back and forth - just totally locked. Doesn't seem to be any pattern to it either, day or night, hot or cold. Driving the car with the steering wheel pointed towards the sky is unbelievably frustrating as I can't read half the gauges and it blocks the HID. Seat controls work normally when the tilt steering is broken.

I've taken it to the dealer but of course the damn car works perfectly for them and all systems test normal. I asked about maybe a bad SZL sensor but my dealer said the car would normally throw codes and mine has none - and it tested normally.

Honestly I could care less about the convenient exit feature (I'm not a big guy). After searching forums I haven't come up with a clear answer on how to disable convenient exit. I'd rather not disable the tilt steering altogether but if thats what it comes to so be it. Is there some coding to disable convenient exit?

I've also read that convenient exit doesn't work if you don't have your seat position stored which mine is, but I don't know how to delete the stored seat position. Unplug the battery maybe?

My last resort is to unplug the tile steering all together, but I'm not sure if the car is going to get all upset with me if I do.

Any thoughts on how to get this fixed or possible what the problem could be?

thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you able to bring the steering wheel down using the button on the left side of the steering wheel? Every once in a while my steering wheel stays in the up position and not sure why. What I do is bring it back down to where I want it using the button and set my seat memory again. This resets seats, mirrors, lumbar support, and steering wheel back to where I want it. Convenient exit now works perfectly. This happens probably every few months. I think it has something to do with manually moving the steering wheel up/down with the button...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you able to bring the steering wheel down using the button on the left side of the steering wheel? Every once in a while my steering wheel stays in the up position and not sure why. What I do is bring it back down to where I want it using the button and set my seat memory again. This resets seats, mirrors, lumbar support, and steering wheel back to where I want it. Convenient exit now works perfectly. This happens probably every few months. I think it has something to do with manually moving the steering wheel up/down with the button...
No, when it happens I am unable to move the steering wheel at all. The steering wheel tilt control (the little joystick on the left of the steering wheel) doesn't do anything and turning the car on and off doesn't help. Just stuck.

Turn the car off and leave it for a few hours and magic pixie dust happens and everything works normally again - convenient exit works normally and the steering wheel moves into its normal "memory" position and the joystick also works normally as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds like a different issue then--almost like it shuts itself down. How old is your battery? I say this because I believe all convenient functions operate while engine is off and car may start to shut things down if not enough power is available.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a different issue then--almost like it shuts itself down. How old is your battery? I say this because I believe all convenient functions operate while engine is off and car may start to shut things down if not enough power is available.
My guess is the battery is original and never replaced. But sometimes the car moves the steering wheel down normally and sometime during driving it get stuck down and won't return the steering wheel back up again - and again its just stuck but this time it will be stuck in the down position. Having it stuck down isn't as annoying at least its at a normal driving position.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My guess is the battery is original and never replaced. But sometimes the car moves the steering wheel down normally and sometime during driving it get stuck down and won't return the steering wheel back up again - and again its just stuck but this time it will be stuck in the down position. Having it stuck down isn't as annoying at least its at a normal driving position.
My initial thought is the motor is on the fritz.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My initial thought is the motor is on the fritz.
Isn't there two motors? One for up and down, and one for back and forth? Because they both don't work when the issues happens.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Isn't there two motors? One for up and down, and one for back and forth? Because they both don't work when the issues happens.
Good point. I'm. It sure but if you're right it's clearly not the motor. My other thought was the switch but I'd be surprised if the car triggered the switch when you get in and out. Thinking the common thread would be a control module of some sort but I'd think that would tore a code.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point. I'm. It sure but if you're right it's clearly not the motor. My other thought was the switch but I'd be surprised if the car triggered the switch when you get in and out. Thinking the common thread would be a control module of some sort but I'd think that would tore a code.
Yeah the car doesn't throw any code... just sometimes doesnt work.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to update everybody on this issue. I pulled the dash apart and whoever did the CCC to CIC upgrade did a ****ty job crimping wires. I pulled apart the twist ties and soldered all the wires and shrink wrapped everything and cleanly put everything back together. Since I've done this I haven't had a problem with the tilt steer not working. I'm guessing something was loose or contacting something else shorting out some electrical system in the car.

So knock on wood but hopefully its fixed now!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a somewhat similar issue where the wheel tilted down when exiting the car and also would not tilt up without pressing the switch repeatedly. I thought my steering wheel switch was bad. However, it turns out the steering wheel had just lost its position. I fixed it by tilting the wheel all the way up by repeatedly pushing tilt up until it would no go up any further. Then I held the tilt up switch for 10 seconds. Then the same for tilting back down and it works perfectly now.

There are other threads out there that lead me to this solution. But, I figured I would add it to this one as a simple step to try before tearing into any of the switches.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts