BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just found out that the Gas cap on the E39 M5's are thinner than the ones on the regular 5 series.

I had a E39 540 while they were working on my M5, and when i went for gas, I noticed that after inserting and turning the gas cap, it would bind due to thickness and the securing cable, behind the gas door.

When i picked up the M, I went back to the 540 and the Gas Caps are indeed different. The 540's is much bulkier and thicker. It's like playing pool with a Baseball bat hiha

Do you have any tidbits...?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I had 1 more...

Some 1999 M5's had square Rear View Mirrors!

:crying:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Ocean's M5 said:
I just found out that the Gas cap on the E39 M5's are thinner than the ones on the regular 5 series.
They do that on the M cars to save weight...hiha hiha

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
540i have smaller engines and a tyre in the trunk while weighing less.

M's have better frontends that wannabe M owns switch to( I stopped by a dealer today looking to see whats on the lot. Found a 03 540i with a M front end for $47,000)hiha

What are the years of the two cars?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
6spd said:
What are the years of the two cars?
2001 Jet Black/Lux int:

2002 Carbon/Sport int:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
6spd said:
M's have better front ends that wannabe M owns switch to..........
So what........

Car owners often like to transform or modify their car to look newer or perhaps more aggressive and sporty. The fact that BMW & the aftermarket offers a few 5 series sporty bolt-on's is encouraging & welcome. There should be no barrier between M and non-M mods. BMW broke down this barrier long ago by offering visual M-Tech labeling on non-M cars. Replicars & bolt-ons are nothing new. That said, fingerpointing wannabe/poser comments are definitely new...I've been around to watch this disturbing neg attitude grow in certain areas.

I was innocently adding dual exhaust, Hipo emblems and different grills to cars 25 years ago. My 1964 Fairlane had custom duals and so did my 1979 Mustang. I was not trying to clone a sportier version as both of these models came with single exhaust only. I am not self-centered enough to assume Ford "cloned" my dual exhaust setup, when they added it to the Fairlane & Mustang Fox chassis in later years. No owner of a later year Mustang criticized me for my duals or for various GT, Cobra & SVO parts I bolted on my car. Are Cobra, Saleen and SVO owners more understanding, accepting and courteous? In my experience YES, but why? There are plenty of strippo '80's Mustangs around that literally cost $8K NEW, modified to look like a $35K Saleen or Roush car. Everybody loves them.

IMO, there's no need to bury one's nose in other folks business or criticize their creations. Why not reserve negative feedback for the owner who seldom services or washes their car & treats it poorly?

The classic car hobby is loaded with owners who strive to create a visibly-correct replicars...yet nobody gets worked up. Why is that? I have stopped to examine replicars in parking lots more than once. The desired effect is achieved in this case, right? Companies crank out fiberglass & even aluminum working copies of rare automotive designs that generally sit in a museum or pristine humidity-controlled garage of some "car & dust" collector. For whatever reason, replicar manufacturers and the BMW parts department that pushes M-Technik mods are not looked down upon like the owners. This pecking order is disturbing.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
6spd said:
M's have better frontends that wannabe M owns switch to( I stopped by a dealer today looking to see whats on the lot. Found a 03 540i with a M front end for $47,000)hiha
Obviously you are not aware of the 03 540 Sport package with the M Appearance package (which I think all 03 540i6s had).. it came from the factory that way.. even the rear bumper makes it look similar in some aspects to the M. I believe the standard wheels where 18 inch M parallels.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Where's the tips & tid-bits? hiha :1: hiha :1: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Wow! I guess that was a bad joke, next time I'll need to put more funny faces there.
No, I never was aware of that option in 2003, at that time I was buying my 2000 M5 as a second to my 97 540i that I like more than the M.
I seem to remember getting snubbed by some here about not having the M anymore also.
Lscman, to you and all I'm sorry :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts