BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i spent conditioning the leather, washing/waxing and installing new grills.

I was rewarded with this ticking sound when i started her up after the work was done (did not occur beforehand). I drove her gingerly for 5 mins and the sound sent away and she performed as normal.

Something to worry about?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
765 Posts
Lifter tick. Mine does this about 3x's/year and especially after extended periods of sitting. Really gets under my skin as you can guess what the neighbors may be thinking, "yep, looks like he's about to blow that motor." Reality is nothing such. My advice is to let car get up to full operating temp at low revs (needle in middle, under 4k) and then give her the beans. If ok the tick will dissappear in about 1/4-1/2 mile from there. It's what I do, and haven't had a problem.

It's not rod knock or chain slap because you didn't hear the noise before. Those noises usually progress, not appear all of a sudden at a startup.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lifter tick. Mine does this about 3x's/year and especially after extended periods of sitting. Really gets under my skin as you can guess what the neighbors may be thinking, "yep, looks like he's about to blow that motor." Reality is nothing such. My advice is to let car get up to full operating temp at low revs (needle in middle, under 4k) and then give her the beans. If ok the tick will dissappear in about 1/4-1/2 mile from there. It's what I do, and haven't had a problem.

It's not rod knock or chain slap because you didn't hear the noise before. Those noises usually progress, not appear all of a sudden at a startup.

That is what i thought it might be (my 328 does it occasionally as well), was just worried maybe it was the the VANOS but it didnt sound 'diesel-y' to me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts