BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I've just got my m5 back from BMW following a clutch replacement and tappet check/adjustment which turned out unneccessary. I was hoping this would cure the ticking sound when driving under load but the valve clearences were correct.
Do all 3.8 m5s do this and is it normal or is it a bearing going to fail such as conrod or big end?? It's a snappy clicking sound like old cars tend to make!!

Also I think I hear the tinkling sound of the timing chain at about 1.5-2krpm before it's drowned out by the engine noise, should this be completely silent or is it normal to sometimes hear it?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
madm5, I would say that mine is tappety, just had an Inspection 2 last Saturday and I metioned to the technician that I thought it was a bit noisey. The guy din't think there was any untoward noises, as these engines have timing chains and non-hydralic tappets/followers and in the main 120k miles plus they tend to be noisey.
cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
madm5 said:
Hi All
It's a snappy clicking sound like old cars tend to make!!

Also I think I hear the tinkling sound of the timing chain at about 1.5-2krpm before it's drowned out by the engine noise, should this be completely silent or is it normal to sometimes hear it?
Exhaust manifold gaskets??????

Chain should be silent if the updated tensioner is fitted.

·
2,519 Posts
Stevie said:
Exhaust manifold gaskets??????

Chain should be silent if the updated tensioner is fitted.

Sounds plausible to me. The tappets are noisy, but that noise is easily differentiated from anything else. Same with the timing chain...and it probably would not be a clicking noise if the tensioner was not operating right, more like a rattle at all speeds.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I replaced mine and get the noise but only when moving.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I also have this noise,mainly whilst on the move and i have the updated tensioner. I was putting it down to the tappets or a transmission noise, planning on taking the top off to check/adjust as soon as i get five minutes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not the transmission, If i press the clutch when driving but hold the revs the noise remains, i'll be interested to know if adjusting yours makes any difference. BTW I took it to BMW who did't think there was anything wrong.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts