BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
E39 M5 driveline ticking sound - YouTube

I'm having this intermittent ticking sound from my shifter. The sound appears to be coming from directly under the shifter boot. The link is from youtube and my car sounds just like that. I have 128,000km on it and have owned it since new. I haven't recently done the brakes or clutch and haven't run over anything. It sounds almost like worn shifter bushing allowing the shift lever to rattle. I'm just looking for other suggestions before I go dashing off on a wild goose chase.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi everyone. I did my due diligence and searched every combination of "ticking sound shifter" to no avail. All I found was this post with no replies, so how about we start this back up?

So, has anyone had any issues with a ticking sound coming directly from their shift boot? The sound seems to be related to the driveshaft because it changes with vehicle speed. Please see the video I have uploaded to youtube which is similar to Bhemi's post above. Does anyone know what this sound is/how to fix this issue? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/racwflpxfKU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers!

Holden

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
It didn't stop when you shifted so I sort of doubt it's the shifter linkage. Can you feel the vibration through the shifter?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Could be the flex disk/guibo is coming apart and part of it is whipping around and hitting the shift linkage?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Definitely check your flex disc. I could hear a tick that eventually turned into a thump as the guibo began failing. Pulled the flex disc and it was torn at every bolt hole. I didn’t have any pieces flipping around but I’m sure vibration from the torn disc was causing the noise through the shifter. Replaced and all is quiet & smooth again.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Try pulling up the hand brake slowly as you drive. See if the sound goes away. If it did go away as you pull few clicks/notches on handbrake, then your parking brake needs adjustment/or service.

If not, then further diagnose on the sound on drivetrain components.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Placing my bet on the guibo or parking brake being out of adjustment. In my case, I installed a stud conversion kit and they back end of the studs were barely hitting my rear parking brake shoes, causing a ticking noise with a frequency that varied with speed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts