BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tues when driving in parking garage, making right turns to get out noticed "metallic ticking" noise.
Service Advisor says new bearings ordered but not sure if this will fix it. Car only has 34XX miles on it.
Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Same problem here. Though I get it on both. Of course more noticeable on the drivers' side but it's on both sides.
S.A. said the same thing, they have now replaced them x2 (bilaterally). The most recent time (2nd time) was about 1-2 months ago and the noise came back.
Don't think it has to do with the bearings. Either that, OR they did in fact, NOT replace them as they stated and invoiced.
Will take it to a different dealer at this time, probably Center BMW in Van Nuys and see if they can fix it.

Also, the first time I took the car in for the "metallic clicking" I had them correct some rattling from the B&O dash speaker housing, and steering wheel. Rattling is gone,
but now, the right paddle makes this "squishy" type noise. Sort of like when you are walking around with wet shoes.

In any event, if you get to figure out what the issue is, please let me know.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Have you had the front end up in the air such that you can swing the steering from one extreme to the other while under the car and spinning the wheel? Check to be sure that there is nothing contacting the wheel during rotation. Repeat for both sides. If all is good check for play in the suspension components. You may also want to check the prop' shaft's center bearing and all 5 CV joints.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I have this as well... noticed it after 5K miles. Only on the driver side for me...

I took it to the dealer and there is a STB for this... front bearings need to be changed. I am scheduled in for next week - he will just do both. Will post if that fixes it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same annoying rattles from the B&O speaker housing on the driver side door - but it comes and goes.
Still awaiting bearings to come in...
Will advise if replacing bearings fixes issue

Thanks all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have this as well... noticed it after 5K miles. Only on the driver side for me...

I took it to the dealer and there is a STB for this... front bearings need to be changed. I am scheduled in for next week - he will just do both. Will post if that fixes it.
Who is your dealer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem here. Both right turns and left. Cold or hot. I need to make a dealer appointment but can't seem to find the time. Let me know what they find. Hear several complaints on other sites but don't see many people posting the solution.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Just got my car back. Turns out there is a (TSB) service bulletim #310112 which says you need to treat the mating surface of the wheel bearing. The tech showed
me something like a clay bar (likely an abrasive) and then some grease-type stuff in a little satchet. There were two M5's getting it done. OBviously I just
drove he car back and don't hear it but will update over the next few days if it comes back.

Both sides were worked on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Resolution 1

Replaced Front Left Wheel Bearings seems to have resolved issues.
Parts Listed on paperwork..

1) 31-20-2-284-375 wheel hub with bearing
2) 31-20-6-855-906 collar screw

Will update if issues comes back.

I did open a case with BMW NA Customer Service as asking why they did not replace both front wheel bearings.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Picked up my car on Friday after regular oil change and also had them check the noise again. This would be the 3rd time. The first two times they indicated that they replaced the "bearings" bilaterally. The "ticking" noise went away for a couple of weeks, possibly even three weeks after the replacements. The noise came back, not as loud as the first time, but it came back. So it turns out that the parts need to be ordered. 31 21 2 284 053/054 (right/left). Those would be the F10 M5 Carrier / wheel bearing, front, according to RealOEM.com.

RealOEM.com Â* BMW F10 M5 Carrier / wheel bearing, front

Hope that this solves the problem. Maybe I should do as the previous poster and open a case with BMW NA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clicking Noise

I'm experiencing the same clicking noise referenced in several previous posts. Something is definitely not right. Tomorrow will be my 3rd service visit for the clicking issue coming out of both the R/L front wheel area.
Visit #1: Removed bearing- oiled- lubed *DID NOT FIX ISSUE
Visit #2: Replaced bearings- housing **DID NOT FIX ISSUE

I will keep board updated with result of my 3 service visit.

Car is also going in for high pitched brake squeal that's driving me nuts. This will be the 6th service visit for the same problem. Noise first occurred on the test drive before purchase attributed to "rust on rotors from car sitting on the lot". Returned car at 56 miles for the first time to have squealing address. Tomorrows appointment will be the 6th visit for the same issue at 18K miles. Today I took the foreman for a ride to demonstrate the noise. He admits the sound is definitely not the sound normal high performance brakes usually make. He also admitted that it's a known issue that may be outside of his ability to fix. He suggested speaking to BMW NA so I filled a report (again). Someone mentioned the only fix they know for this issue was to swap the brakes on my 2013 M5 with a set of Euro style brakes they are now installing on the B6 Alpinia. But who knows...Everything has been done multiple times including replacing sensors, disc, pads... Nothing solved the issue.

Last chance and then I'm trading out of the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts