BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and found some that sound similar, however I've never been entirely convinced.

So far its looking the most likely story is a bad timing chain tensioner between the cams, wondering if anyone else recognises the sound as something else.

Video below, the entire engine sounds very tappy which only seems to come through on the video listening to the engine normally it sounds fine just with this ticking sound.

Its from bank 1 (I think) drivers side in the UK

Thanks in advance

Video

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Is there a specific point in the video when it comes through? Otherwise, sounds normal to me, the typical diesel-like chatter/sound. Likely just lifter chatter.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Try to use a mechanic's stethoscope , or a long screwdriver or rod to your ear to try to localize the sound. It may not be coming from where you think. Good luck

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've just watched my own video back and it is very hard to pick out the sound its coming from the chain/cam sprocket area on the UK drivers bank I've already listened using a stethoscope (a long 1/2" extension)

I'll see if I get chance to make another video this week the noise disappears around 1000-1200 rpm then comes back when you let off the throttle

·
Registered
222 Posts
Subscribed. I have the EXACT same symptoms as you. Only clicks/clocks at idle , and disappears once above 1000rpm. About 2-3 ticks per second at idle. I could not hear anything abnormal with the stethoscope in the upper part of the engine, but maybe I wasn't listening in the right place. For me I think it would be either the upper timing chain tensioner or the oil pump tensioner.
Interested to see what your findings are. My car is stored for the winter so I will be chasing this problem further in the spring . Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts