BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter told me about this, and I want to know if anyone here can confirm it, or toss it as an urban legend. ??????

On the East Coast of the US, you pay tolls to drive on most of the major turnpikes and tunnels along the I-95 corridor from MD through Maine. I heard from a friend that he knew someone in New Jersey that got a ticket in the mail from the Garden State Freeway Authority for driving too fast between toll stations. Has anyone else heard about this, or better still seen the ticket for real?

It sounds like BS to me, but the continuing intrusion of government controls wouldn't surprise me.

Cheers! :cheers:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used to get warnings about speeding (letters in the mail) from both M-tag and EZ-Pass when I drove through the old tunnel (Harbor Tunnel) when I lived in Baltimore. I never got a ticket.

The interesting thing is that I was never told what my actual speed was. I can't imagine people slowing down to 5mph to pass through the Ez-Pass gates during rush hour.

I drove home from Chicago to Baltimore to see my parents over Thanksgiving weekend, and didn't get a ticket either. (drove through Pennsylvania and Ohio turnpike)

M5_in_MD said:
My daughter told me about this, and I want to know if anyone here can confirm it, or toss it as an urban legend. ??????

On the East Coast of the US, you pay tolls to drive on most of the major turnpikes and tunnels along the I-95 corridor from MD through Maine. I heard from a friend that he knew someone in New Jersey that got a ticket in the mail from the Garden State Freeway Authority for driving too fast between toll stations. Has anyone else heard about this, or better still seen the ticket for real?

It sounds like BS to me, but the continuing intrusion of government controls wouldn't surprise me.

Cheers! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
So, you're saying that somebody said they got a ticket for speeding because the system measured the time it took them to go from one toll booth to the next and calculated their speed from that?

I'm guessing urban myth...

We have a toll paying system here for bridges, but not toll roads (at least not yet). They plan to install transponder readers all over so they can monitor traffic conditions, but said that it would not be used to monitor individual car speeds, nor be used to cite drivers for speeding. They said that our transponder ID's would not be tracked, or would be encrypted to protect our privacy. They also said that if we were concerned, or did not wish to participate in this traffic monitoring system, we could simply wrap our transponder in foil and it would not be detected by the system...

:cheers:

·
Registered
33 Posts
i would say its possible, i heard from people in another forum that they got a ticket in austria for speeding between two toll stations and at some othre points.

and i`m affraid that here in germany they will use the new truck mout system to do the same.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There are three toll roads in New Jersey (NJ). The Atlantic City Expressway runs basiclly East - West from Philadelphia to Atlantic. I have never sed it so do not know how EZ pass works on it.
The Garden State Parkway (GSP) runs from Cape May in the southeast corner of NJ along the east side of the state to the New York border. Toll boths are placed at most entrances/exits (butnot all) and at various points along the Parkway. You pay a toll at each toll both. If you pay cash they cannot track you, but with EZPass they can track you in their computers from any one tollbooth to any other tollbooth. They have long had the capability to track your speed but have told the public that "big brother" will not do it. What they have been issuing tickets for is EZPass drivers driving too fast through the EZPass tollbooths (some tollboths are unmanned and for EZPass ONLY. Initially they started issuing tickets for driving thru faster than 5mph. Now it is higher (claimed they did not have the technology to read the EZPass boxes at higher than 5mph) -- I am not sure but 25mph sticks in my mind.
The third toll road is the New Jersey Turnpike. Tolls are paid differently than the GSP. You pay only once, when you exit. When you enter if paying cash you get a computer readable ticket and turn it in with your money when you exit. If using EZPass you just drive thru. With either EZPass of the computer readable ticket they know how long it takes you from when you entered to when you exited, hence they can tell if you were speeding (assuming you did not stop at a rest stop or get stuck in traffic). Here as with the GSP they are not supposed to be issuing traffic tickets. Also as with the GSP, it is possible to go through the tollbooth (entry or exit) faster than the posted limit and they do issue tickets for that.

Maybe someone else from NJ will have additional information.

·
Registered
312 Posts
M-Fünf said:
They also said that if we were concerned, or did not wish to participate in this traffic monitoring system, we could simply wrap our transponder in foil and it would not be detected by the system...
Or, if one is REALLY paranoid, you could simply wrap your head in foil. . . that way, no one will be able to hear your thoughts. . . :hihihi:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Mrs_Struth said:
Or, if one is REALLY paranoid, you could simply wrap your head in foil. . . that way, no one will be able to hear your thoughts. . . :hihihi:
Whew...Thank god I'm not the only one who thought of this hiha hiha hiha

Foil

Can you guess what I'm thinking :hihihi:

·
Registered
897 Posts
I got a warning from EZPass for going too fast THROUGH the tollbooth (the Outerbridge Crossing in Staten Island if I remember correctly).

I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket between tollbooths. Obviously the data to do this already exsists there since each toll is electronically recorded with a time stamp. Assuming the clocks at the booths are synched up then the speed calculation is simple.

·
Registered
175 Posts
M5 in MD,
Did you ever hear whether it was a speeding ticket for between toll boths or for too fast though the toll both?

As CEC stated, technology is in place for speeding between toll boths, but in New Jersey the emphasis was on speeding through toll boths.

The state actually planned for paying for the install of the EZPass system on the GSP by issuing tickets for driving in excess of a low speed limit thru the Toll Booth -- the limit was set at five (5) mph. A lot of tickets were issued by the state police. After a month or two the populace lit a fire under the state legislature and that practice was stopped (but not retroactively).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts