BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello everyone, i am kind of new to the forum and just got my m6 a couple weeks ago. well today i was driving to orlando from miami (didn't have batteries in my radar) and got pulled over. as soon as i saw the cop i looked at my heads up display and it said 102 exactly but luckily the cop clocked me at 96. is this because his radar gun may not have been calibrated? or was it just luck that he clocked me earlier? i got pulled over in a county quite far from me so i think going to court would be to much of a hassle so i think i am going to just give it to a company i know similar to the ticket clinic and be free from all the hassle. any suggestion?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
i looked at my heads up display and it said 102 exactly but luckily the cop clocked me at 96. is this because his radar gun may not have been calibrated?
This is the built-in speedometer error that all of our cars have.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What you mean m6 has speedo problem?? can this be fixed?
I wish I had an M6 - Even though I don't I still need to know?? I'm with you above - Can this be fixed some how?????

·
Registered
95 Posts
haha don't freak out guys. All cars are calibrated to read slightly higher MPH than you are actually going, I think it's somewhat of a safety issue. The "error" is exponential though, so when you are going 60mph it might only be 1-2mph off, but at 100mph and beyond, the gap gets bigger.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Are you sure about this? Just checking again
Yes, I am positive. All modern cars have a percentage of built-in error. Carry a GPS along with you (one that indicates speed), and see for yourself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I tested my M6 and the speedo was reading 100 while my GPS unit was reading 96 MPH. I think a 5% error is about average.

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is the built-in speedometer error that all of our cars have.
This is why I love this board... learn something new everyday.. Thanks.:cheers:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Carry a GPS and try it yourself sometime. You'll be amazed at how far off your car might be at 55MPH. I have some BMW motorcycles, and each one is off by 5MPH at 75MPH, when compared to the GPS on my handlebars.

I know that the following comment may be a bit OT, although it may cover several thoughts in one post:

Hey guys, check it out. If you have a power cable for your radar detector that is flat and/or straight (as opposed to the curly cable) you can remove the speaker above the iDrive, and drop your power wire down to a power source in the dash. I did it with my STi Driver, and used velcro to attach it above the iDrive display. I had to make a small notch in the speaker cover at the edge to accomodate the wire, but it works great. Now, the power cable has a remote MUTE button on it to silence the detector during an alert. The wiring comes down from the detector, into the ashtray where the remote button is kept, then over to a power source. The ashtray closes, and hides the remote button. With the ashtray open, my Krazor sits in the ashtray right next to the button, and does not fly around.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Carry a GPS and try it yourself sometime. You'll be amazed at how far off your car might be at 55MPH. I have some BMW motorcycles, and each one is off by 5MPH at 75MPH, when compared to the GPS on my handlebars.

I know that the following comment may be a bit OT, although it may cover several thoughts in one post:

Hey guys, check it out. If you have a power cable for your radar detector that is flat and/or straight (as opposed to the curly cable) you can remove the speaker above the iDrive, and drop your power wire down to a power source in the dash. I did it with my STi Driver, and used velcro to attach it above the iDrive display. I had to make a small notch in the speaker cover at the edge to accomodate the wire, but it works great. Now, the power cable has a remote MUTE button on it to silence the detector during an alert. The wiring comes down from the detector, into the ashtray where the remote button is kept, then over to a power source. The ashtray closes, and hides the remote button. With the ashtray open, my Krazor sits in the ashtray right next to the button, and does not fly around.
take some pics so we can see!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Dear Landon305,

I received the same ticket on my way to Orlando from Boca Raton. I was pulled over right outside of Kissimmee on the turnpike. From my observations, I believe that I was going at least 140mph. It was a beautiful day for driving and I was concerned why I didn't see any patrol cars for a fifty mile stretch. I then learned that I was nailed from an aircraft watching me and 3 other cars.

When the officer approached my car, I asked him how fast I was going and he replied 99mph. We both smiled at each other and I proudly gave him my license and accepted the ticket. After a full day at driving school and $400.00 later it was nothing but a pleasant memory.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dear Landon305,

I received the same ticket on my way to Orlando from Boca Raton. I was pulled over right outside of Kissimmee on the turnpike. From my observations, I believe that I was going at least 140mph. It was a beautiful day for driving and I was concerned why I didn't see any patrol cars for a fifty mile stretch. I then learned that I was nailed from an aircraft watching me and 3 other cars.

When the officer approached my car, I asked him how fast I was going and he replied 99mph. We both smiled at each other and I proudly gave him my license and accepted the ticket. After a full day at driving school and $400.00 later it was nothing but a pleasant memory.

Enjoy.

Wow very lucky! I think how they do it from air patrol is they see how long it takes you to get from one point to another and plug it into a formula which tells them how fast you were going. this is what i heard, but actually this would help us in some cases. say you increase your speed in their trap, it wouldn't tell them our exact speed only an average (if that is how they do it). Does anyone know how the air patrol works? also, what should we look out for to know we could be watched form above, any clues?

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Wow very lucky! I think how they do it from air patrol is they see how long it takes you to get from one point to another and plug it into a formula which tells them how fast you were going. this is what i heard, but actually this would help us in some cases. say you increase your speed in their trap, it wouldn't tell them our exact speed only an average (if that is how they do it). Does anyone know how the air patrol works? also, what should we look out for to know we could be watched form above, any clues?
Actually there is a device to detect planes from above. It's called TCAS and if you have the correct installation, you can see aircraft above you by up to approximately 10,000 feet and in a 40 nm radius. It's a bit expensive and you might be better off paying for the speeding tickets;) The full installation might be about the price of the car, but here is an alternative that should keep you informed of aircraft above your position:

http://www.kingschools.com/productDetail.asp?itemNo=GOO ZA01

I'll do this when I get back to the states for sure.

Russ:checkeredflag:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
http://www.kingschools.com/productDetail.asp?itemNo=GOO ZA01

Russ:checkeredflag:[/QUOTE]

Wow that sure would look ugly in the cockpit of the beast :hihi: but if you constantly take long road trips its definitely worth it even though its quite pricey. I personally don't think i could spend 1,800 on such a device but if your worried and think you need it let us know how it works!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm gonna start a new thread so as not to jack this thread. Photos will be posted in it. Look for "Radar & Phone Placement".

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Wow that sure would look ugly in the cockpit of the beast :hihi: but if you constantly take long road trips its definitely worth it even though its quite pricey. I personally don't think i could spend 1,800 on such a device but if your worried and think you need it let us know how it works![/quote]

Alex Roy will have nothing on me once I get back from Germany. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts