BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all

First of all I am a new member on here, but have been lurking for a while, I have an 06 E63 M6 in interlagos blue/silverstone with 44k miles, all good so far, apart from .

I have noticed that the tick over is a little high, about 900 to 1000 RPM, I am sure it was about 750 RPM when I first had the car.

I took it out for a spin yesterday and it was fully warmed up, pulled on the drive and the tick over was normal, about 750, assuming 750 is normal. I then put the car in neutral and the revs stayed the same. Without stopping the car I then drove it in to the garage and the tick over was back to 900 to 1000. it doesnt fluctuate at all when it decides which RPM it wants to be in.

I realise that 90% of people probably wouldnt notice this but being a bit of a petrol head it is something I notice and it annoys me. The care drives perfectly so it isn't life and death.

I have spoken to a BMW Tech who baffled me with techno stuff and suggested I take it in for diagnosis, I have also had it on a code reader and that throws up nothing so I am baffled

I wonder if anyone else has had this issue [ I wont call it a problem ] and can throw me some light, gone are the days when we turned the idle screw with a screwdriver anti clockwise !!

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
464 Posts
Idle speed is high... First look for vacuum leaks. Or idle air control valve is sticking? Can't remember if S85 has them...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Good morning all

First of all I am a new member on here, but have been lurking for a while, I have an 06 E63 M6 in interlagos blue/silverstone with 44k miles, all good so far, apart from .

I have noticed that the tick over is a little high, about 900 to 1000 RPM, I am sure it was about 750 RPM when I first had the car.

I took it out for a spin yesterday and it was fully warmed up, pulled on the drive and the tick over was normal, about 750, assuming 750 is normal. I then put the car in neutral and the revs stayed the same. Without stopping the car I then drove it in to the garage and the tick over was back to 900 to 1000. it doesnt fluctuate at all when it decides which RPM it wants to be in.

I realise that 90% of people probably wouldnt notice this but being a bit of a petrol head it is something I notice and it annoys me. The care drives perfectly so it isn't life and death.

I have spoken to a BMW Tech who baffled me with techno stuff and suggested I take it in for diagnosis, I have also had it on a code reader and that throws up nothing so I am baffled

I wonder if anyone else has had this issue [ I wont call it a problem ] and can throw me some light, gone are the days when we turned the idle screw with a screwdriver anti clockwise !!

Thanks

Peter
Just to confirm, you are not talking about the increase in revs (and exhaust noise) when the CATS are automatically kept at operating temp by increasing fuel? Normally happens in heavy traffic, Eastern European operated car wash etc! Lasts 1-2 mins.

·
Registered
307 Posts
LOL!!!! Idle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine does this also mate, I'm pretty sure it's normal. My car has been in for warranty work & had it been off BMW would have noticed (I hope) it's also had a software update. I have just modified my rear mufflers so it gets pretty loud lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jason

I think it is normal now as well, having spoken to a BMW tech who knows his stuff. I believe it is something to do with the Cats. I am not going to concern myself with it anymore.

I bet you are glad you have that extended warranty now !!

What have you done to your exhaust boxes then, I gave mine a bit yesterday through the revs and it sounded awesome and that is in OEM mode.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks Jason

I think it is normal now as well, having spoken to a BMW tech who knows his stuff. I believe it is something to do with the Cats. I am not going to concern myself with it anymore.

I bet you are glad you have that extended warranty now !!

What have you done to your exhaust boxes then, I gave mine a bit yesterday through the revs and it sounded awesome and that is in OEM mode.

Thanks for your input.
Yes mate, very glad to have the warranty, it's been mostlylittle things but it all adds up, however I have had new front discs & pads along with a front dampener, then alone would cost over £2k fitted at BMW.

My exhaust mate V10 Exhaust modification drive by's - Music to my ears - The M3cutters - UK BMW M3 Group Forum posted on here also but it has the box mod on cutters also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Were the boxes cut open, fettled and stitched back together again, there is a guy on Cutters doing these Mods I believe. The car sounds awesome in the vids by the way, I would be lucky to find a stretch of deserted road like that round my way !!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Were the boxes cut open, fettled and stitched back together again, there is a guy on Cutters doing these Mods I believe. The car sounds awesome in the vids by the way, I would be lucky to find a stretch of deserted road like that round my way !!
Chattan, you hollowed out the silencers yourself didn't you? Followed your thread on M3cutters!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have just had a look at what was done, food for thought eh, but finding the right person to do the job not a million miles away could be an issue.

I think I would have to do what Jason has done and source a spare system to fettle,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes guys, I had them hollowed out & straight pipes welded in, I wanted the box/car to still look standard. I am however going to need a map with the cold start delete as its stupid loud on start up lol.

Standard exhaust

Before modifications

Box opened up, the box is cut like that as we thought the internals would be the same as the M5 with perforated pipes that we could cover up, it wasn't until we opened it & found this that we had to rethink what was needing done, so we welded it shut & cut along (near) the centre so we could access the exhsust properly.

Pipes welded in

Box welded back together, welds buffed down & sprayed with some high temp paint.

^^^if you look above the seam you will see the weld.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A couple of questions Jason

1. I thought the system was a one piece from front to back but I notice you worked the box on it's own, do I assume you cut the pipe and re joined it after.

2. How did you manage to weld the underneath of the interconnecting pipes, there doesnt appear to be a lot of room !!.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good morning all

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

As mentioned earlier in the thread it sounds normal, most likely the CATS keeping to operating temperature. Have you had any hunting at idle at all?

Noticed your in Essex, where abouts?

Nick

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HI Nick
Thanks for your input and I have had no ' hunting ' it is sometimes on about 750 when I pull up and then goes up to 900 - 1000 and settles there. I am not worrying about it anymore, not that I worried much in the first place.!!

I am in Colchester and you ? It is nice to know that there is someone else fairly locally to compare notes with.

Peter

·
Registered
29 Posts
HI Nick
Thanks for your input and I have had no ' hunting ' it is sometimes on about 750 when I pull up and then goes up to 900 - 1000 and settles there. I am not worrying about it anymore, not that I worried much in the first place.!!

I am in Colchester and you ? It is nice to know that there is someone else fairly locally to compare notes with.

Peter

Definitely sounds like the CATS then which is normal.

I am near Wickford, just off the A130. Not too far away really, not seen any M6's around so good to see there's one fairly local.

·
Registered
39 Posts
A couple of questions Jason

1. I thought the system was a one piece from front to back but I notice you worked the box on it's own, do I assume you cut the pipe and re joined it after.

Pete, yes the system is one piece from the factory, where it has been cut is where you would cut the exhsust to fit an aftermarket system. Mine had been cut & clamped before I ownded it, so the car has had an aftermarket exhaust at some point in its life. This for me was a bonus as the second exhaust I purchased slipped straight on with no issues. Have a look under your car mate, if there are clamps it's had a system before.

2. How did you manage to weld the underneath of the interconnecting pipes, there doesnt appear to be a lot of room !!.
If you look at the centre of the straight through sections you can see where it was welded. The pipes got put in, in two halves then rotated while welding the centre of the pipes, once complete the outer parts of the pipes were welded to the box, they were welded around 70% of the way around as we could not get to the bottom without opening the box up completely, the pipes were tight so the 70% works fine mate.

After having it on the car a week now it does sound awesome, but is pretty loud out side the car lol the M6 is so well insulated that you get away with it, I would say there is a little bit of drone when you labour the car but nothing excessive. My misses hasn't noticed anything, or if she has she hasn't said lol. I've never told her I have had this done.

I think for yourself using the car very little & as a toy you would love it. I do however think I'll need to get the car mapped to remove the cold start as it is loud on start up & when the idle raises when sat in traffic, people defo notice the car when sat there. I'll hold of until next year to decide on the map & weather or not to remove the primary cats, I'll spend the time researching whether or not the decat is worth it as I've ready conflicting info on it.

Just keep an eye on ebay for some second hand mufflers mate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts