BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am totally confused...not new for me.

The terminology that everyone is using is throwing me off.

In the front suspension, there are 2 sets of control arms - upper and lower - correct?

Is one of those being referred to as the "thrust arm" or is there a third component to add to my confusion?

I thought I had it figured out after reading the 12k posts on these issues, but then I went to the Dinan site to look at the monoball kit and it referred to the lower control arms as "thrust arms"

:confused: help..

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Reactions: Kmac

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So 5 and 6 are the upper control arm and bushing.

I assume that 10 is the lower control arm.

This quote from the Dinan (Die-nan :)) website on the monoball is what is throwing me for a loop:

"The monoball kit replaces the stock rubber bushings in the thrust arms (or lower control arms) with racing quality, spherical bearings in precision machined aluminum housings" - Dinan website (http://www.dinancars.com/store/Lower-Control-Arm-Monoball-Kit-c-366-p-2604.html)

The english language is so much fun. I read that sentence as I can replace both the upper and lower bushings with the monoball, or they are calling the thrust arms the lower control arms.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
So 5 and 6 are the upper control arm and bushing.

I assume that 10 is the lower control arm.

This quote from the Dinan (Die-nan :)) website on the monoball is what is throwing me for a loop:

"The monoball kit replaces the stock rubber bushings in the thrust arms (or lower control arms) with racing quality, spherical bearings in precision machined aluminum housings" - Dinan website (http://www.dinancars.com/store/Lower-Control-Arm-Monoball-Kit-c-366-p-2604.html)

The english language is so much fun. I read that sentence as I can replace both the upper and lower bushings with the monoball, or they are calling the thrust arms the lower control arms.
What are you talking about? #10 is the flat washer. #12 is the lower arm and # 5 is the upper control arm or trust arm

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Hmmm, good question, not sure if it's both arms, or just one. Probably need to call them to confirm.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you talking about? #10 is the flat washer. #12 is the lower arm and # 5 is the upper control arm or trust arm

um, new baby not much sleep.

I was at least in the right general area...

Read in a different thread that the thrust arm bushing could be replace with the monoball.

I will call and confirm.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
just go with x5 trust arm bushings

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, that seems to be one of the many options, but I have not seen much feedback on the longevity. I would rather replace and forget about it than replace and replace. As far as i can tell here are the options:

1. OEM - absolute crap gonna cost: $700 installed
2. Vines Automotive - not good due to service record of company
3. BavAuto - new stock arms/poly blend bushings: $650 installed
4. Dinan Monoball - new stock arms/monoball kit: $1300 installed
5. X5 Bushings - new stock arms/X5 bushings: $700 installed

The feedback I have seen is no on Vines and OEM, jury is out on the BavAuto set, good reviews on the Dinan and unknown on the X5.

Obviously if it makes sense to keep the current arms, I could save $300 on the X5 install.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Yeah, that seems to be one of the many options, but I have not seen much feedback on the longevity. I would rather replace and forget about it than replace and replace. As far as i can tell here are the options:

1. OEM - absolute crap gonna cost: $700 installed
2. Vines Automotive - not good due to service record of company
3. BavAuto - new stock arms/poly blend bushings: $650 installed
4. Dinan Monoball - new stock arms/monoball kit: $1300 installed
5. X5 Bushings - new stock arms/X5 bushings: $700 installed

The feedback I have seen is no on Vines and OEM, jury is out on the BavAuto set, good reviews on the Dinan and unknown on the X5.

Obviously if it makes sense to keep the current arms, I could save $300 on the X5 install.
I don't know why Vines are thought of as unreliable. They were ok with me. There was a 2 week delay as they were waiting stock, but they told me upfront and despatched when they said they would.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am not happy with Vines at all. I called on a computer part for my 323 convertible, told the price and I said send it. Get a call next day, the part is no longer in stock. request they let me know when stock is in. couple of months go by and I call back, they have part but price has more than doubled, I need it, so request them to send it. That was two weeks ago and still no part. At this point, I don't think I will get parts from them again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts