BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are the symptoms of worn thrust arm bushings?

What are the symptoms of a worn tie rod link?

Thanks. Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
444 Posts
x703jko said:
What are the symptoms of worn thrust arm bushings?

What are the symptoms of a worn tie rod link?

Thanks. Jeff cherrsagai
Jeff:

You probably would include worn control arm bushings, if concerned about tie rod ball joints.

Basically thrust arm bushings, and the ball joints at the hub end of the lower thrust arms locate the front wheels fore and aft. The main job is to transmit braking force to the chassis, and absorb road impact. The chief symptom associated with looseness in the thrust arm is shimmy and wheel shake felt through the steering, particularly under braking, but in extreme cases triggered by a road impact.

Problems with the tie rod link, which on the E39 M5 is actually comprised of three such link rods, in the nature of wear or looseness in one of the spherical joints will produce change in wheel alignment. This will generally be an increase in toe-out, owing to the caster built in to the body design, with resulting tire wear, loss of directional stability and can be variable depending on tire side loading (may be different in left & right turns). Short of complete failure of a spherical joint, the change in toe due to wear of a tie rod end will be relatively small. Failure of a control arm bushing or spherical joint will cause massive toe-out, and will be impossible to ignore. The control arms locate the lower front struts perpendicular to the centerline of the car.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RRoberts said:
Hope this helps.

Regards, Dick Roberts
Dick. Very instructive. Thanks for the info.

Further question. I assume that these anomalies are easy for a trained tech to diagnose. However, can you advise on what they should look for?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
x703jko said:
Dick. Very instructive. Thanks for the info.

Further question. I assume that these anomalies are easy for a trained tech to diagnose. However, can you advise on what they should look for?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff cherrsagai
Dick. I found a previous post http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45929&highlight=Thrust+Arm where you answered most of my question. However, if you have anything furher to add, I would be most grateful if you would chime in.

Thanks. Jeff cherrsagai

1 - 4 of 4 Posts